The content of the article
- What is hypothyroidism?
- Hypothyroidism and Overweight
- Hypothyroidism and Slimming
- Is it possible to lose weight
- Can I do sports
- Diet Mary Chaumont
- Thyroid Medications for Weight Loss
- Endocrinologist’s tips: how to lose weight
What makes a person fat? The source of such troubles, it would seem, is obvious – overeating plus low physical activity. However, there are other, less well-known obesity factors. For example, endocrine diseases or impaired hormone production. You should not be sad, because any endocrinologist will say that the problem is solvable. Find out: how to lose weight with hypothyroidism, make the right menu and affect the functioning of the thyroid gland with drugs.
What is hypothyroidism?
Hormones of the endocrine system affect all processes in the body: they participate in the formation of soft tissues, are responsible for the work of the heart, bone growth and more. However, it happens that the endocrine system fails for some reason. Autoimmune hypothyroidism is a decrease in the production of thyroxine and triiodothyronine hormones, which interferes with metabolic processes and contributes to obesity..
Hypothyroidism and Overweight
The characteristic symptoms of hypothyroidism include: a decrease in body temperature, pallor or yellowness of the skin, and the formation of cholesterol plaques. Due to the reduced production of hormones in the gland, the rate of metabolic processes decreases, while the need for energy in a state of rest or activity remains the same. As a result, a person constantly feels a sense of hunger, begins to eat a lot, more high-calorie foods. Obesity with hypothyroidism appears as a consequence of such a process..
Hypothyroidism and Slimming
It is known that the thyroid gland and weight loss are closely related concepts. If you do not establish the functioning of the first, then losing weight will be simply unrealistic. It is good that there are many medicines and food products that can stimulate the endocrine system. However, you must remember that losing weight with hypothyroidism has a number of contraindications, including:
- pregnancy or breastfeeding;
- severe bowel disorders;
- the presence of other serious chronic diseases.
Is it possible to lose weight
It is quite possible to lose weight with hypothyroidism, the main thing is to adhere to the rules and slightly change your lifestyle. In general, the program for getting rid of obesity with thyroid dysfunction is not much different from a regular diet for weight loss. Discuss the details with your doctor, how to lose weight with hypothyroidism, if:
- there have been cases of thyroid dysfunction in the family, especially along the female line;
- you are entering a premenopausal period or a complete menopause has come;
- over the past few years, you have already suffered from hormonal imbalances or experienced a severe emotional shock during this period of time.
Can I do sports
A good combination is hypothyroidism and sports. Moderate training for several minutes a day will help speed up the metabolism. How to lose weight with hypothyroidism using sports? Any simple exercises are suitable: jumping, bending, walking, climbing stairs, running. Easy fitness for weight loss can be combined with strength exercises to build muscle mass. The muscles will gradually grow and displace the body fat..
Before starting weight loss in the presence of violations in the endocrine system, it is necessary to confirm the alleged diagnosis. In most cases, to diagnose hypothyroidism, you need to take a blood test for hormones and make an ultrasound of the thyroid gland. If the results confirm suspicions, the doctor will prescribe the intake of artificial hormones, the purpose of which is to compensate for the lack of thyroxine and triiodothyronine.
The diet of the endocrinologist for weight loss will go on a par with taking medications, but will not begin before the TSH returns to normal. All foods containing goitrogenic substances that interfere with hormone production will be excluded from the diet. As a rule, these are all types of cabbage, spring vegetables and some greens. A good example of the correct weight loss regimen is considered a diet for hypothyroidism from Mary Chaumont.
The essence of this weight loss program is to stimulate metabolic processes by eating properly selected foods. The basis of the diet should be proteins, most of which are better to eat at breakfast. Quality protein can be found in:
- dairy products, especially cheese or cottage cheese;
- lean meat: beef, sea fish, offal, rabbit meat, liver;
What will not bring benefits is products with hypothyroidism, rich in refined carbohydrates. Their dietary fiber is unusually low, and complex carbohydrates slow down their metabolism. Sources of empty calories are:
- all types of granulated sugar;
- shop juices;
- fine flour;
- instant cereals and other refined grain dishes;
- refined starches.
However, it is impossible to completely abandon carbohydrates for weight loss. It is important to learn to distinguish between beneficial substances and placebo. For example, instead of pasta with hypothyroidism, it is better to cook sweet potato, replace the polished rice with brown, and use coconut oil instead of refined rice. Fruits and foods containing fiber, iodine, magnesium, selenium will bring particular benefits to the thyroid gland..
Diet Mary Chaumont
Food should be fractional: it is better to eat a little, but often and slowly chewing. The American writer and author of the book How to Lose Weight with Hypothyroidism offers cooking in the same way as with a normal diet. In addition, the diet of Mary Chaumont with hypothyroidism suggests taking into account several important points:
- Verify that TSH is low. As a rule, doctors prescribe a diet when the TSH reaches 4-4.5 mU / L. However, Mary claims that T4 is optimal for weight loss in the range of 2.5-1 mU / l.
- With hypothyroidism, you can not take any other drugs that will interact with thyroxine preparations. For successful weight loss, you will have to abandon the use of vitamin complexes with calcium, as well as contraceptive pills.
- Test yourself for insulin resistance. If the amount of insulin produced in the blood is much higher than the sugar concentration, then this will inevitably lead to the accumulation of fat.
Metabolism, which works with all its might, can slow down significantly if you start consuming less than 1200 kcal per day. Therefore, starvation with hypothyroidism is strictly contraindicated. According to Mary’s diet for weight loss, the individual rate of products can be calculated using the following formula: X = Y * 25 – 200, where:
- X – total daily calorie content;
- U – total body weight in kilograms.
Thyroid Medications for Weight Loss
The principle of nutrition based on taking the right medicines and products is the most effective way to reduce body weight. However, before using drugs for the thyroid gland to reduce weight, a blood test should be performed on the content of triiodothyronine, TSH, thyroxine and cortisone in the plasma. Only after receiving affirmative answers and on the recommendation of a doctor can hormone replacement therapy be started.
As a rule, the number of vital medicines for hypothyroidism includes:
- Omega 3
- Levothyroxine sodium.
Endocrinologist’s tips: how to lose weight
The nutritional system for hypothyroidism remains the same, but becomes more useful. To deal with excess calories was easier, it is worth taking note of the tips of an endocrinologist for weight loss:
- With hypothyroidism, you should not set yourself the goal of losing weight in a week. Therapeutic weight loss is a long but effective process.
- Diet for thyroid hypothyroidism involves the exclusion of alcohol, fat, fatty acids, complex carbohydrates from the diet.
- For proper weight loss, drink coffee in the morning. It contains vitamins of the PP group and potassium.
- Keep track of cholesterol levels and regularly replenish iodine deficiency with ready-made vitamin complexes or food: walnuts, seafood, grapes.
Attention! The information presented in the article is for guidance only. Materials of the article do not call for self-treatment. Only a qualified doctor can make a diagnosis and give treatment recommendations based on the individual characteristics of a particular patient.