The content of the article
- How to paint gray hair
- Gray hair dye
- Organic Dyes
- Toning gray hair
- How to paint gray hair with folk remedies
- Black tea
- Blackberry juice
Over the years, gray hair appears in everyone, but on a dark head of hair it is more noticeable. You can’t stop the hair bleaching process, but it’s quite possible to mask the problem. You can paint gray hair at home using professional products (paints, tonics, sprays), natural dyes (henna, basma), herbal decoctions, tea or coffee.
How to paint gray hair
For women and men with dark hair, gray hair is often a problem. By structure, the hair rods of brunettes are dense, stiff. They are covered with flakes that are closely adjacent to each other, which prevent the penetration of the coloring pigment.
In addition, after the disappearance of melanin, voids form in the hairs, the artificial dye has nothing to interact with, so it does not linger inside. For this reason, gray hair on dark hair is more difficult to paint than on light.
For a good result you need to use only high-quality dyes.
Simple staining can be carried out independently at home. What tools are suitable for this:
- professional paints of famous manufacturers (L’oreal, Estel, Schwarzkopf, Garnier);
- dyes of natural origin (henna, basma);
- tint balms, shampoos, creams;
- camouflage gels, mascaras, sprays, pencils, crayons, lipsticks;
- decoctions, masks, rinses from natural products (coffee, tea, walnuts, onion peels).
For complex stains, it is best to consult a specialist. What techniques can be offered in a beauty salon:
- Colorization – a procedure in which dark strands are first lightened and then dyed in one or more colors (chocolate, light chestnut, coffee, copper). The technique helps to hide gray hair, even when more than half of bleached hairs.
- Highlighting on gray hair – discoloration of individual strands using a composition with an oxidizing agent. At the same time, the remaining hairs remain untouched, with their own color. The technique is effective if gray hair on the head is not more than 30%.
- Blonding – one of the most effective ways to color gray hair on dark hair. The technique consists in washing off the natural pigment, followed by coloring the clarified strands in blond.
- Camouflage – a technique for masking gray hair using dyes without ammonia. They contain ethanolamine – a substance that changes the color of only gray hairs and does not affect the rest. More suitable camouflage gray hair for men and women with a short haircut. The procedure is recommended in the presence of no more than 50% gray hair.
In the case when ordinary paints are ineffective in combating gray hair, the master may suggest one of the preparatory procedures for dyeing:
- Mordansage – loosening of the hair structure with hydrogen peroxide for better penetration of the coloring pigment.
- Prepigmentation – filling voids in gray hairs with special pigments that react with paint.
Gray hair dye
Professional dye for gray hair differs from the usual one in that it contains more coloring pigments. When choosing a product, you need to pay attention to the following points:
- the shade of their strands;
- the effectiveness of painting gray hair (indicated on the package);
- the amount of oxide (a high content of the substance (6–9%) in the paint composition guarantees complete shading of gray hair);
- the presence of caring components (vitamins, oils, plant extracts).
Rating of the best paints for painting gray hair on dark hair:
- Estel de lux silver – Designed specifically for graying strands, provides persistent staining, bright, saturated color. The disadvantages of the paint include an unpleasant ammonia odor, the ability to dry hair. In the palette of Estelle De Luxe Silver – 50 natural shades. The main components of the composition: ammonia, extracts of guarana and green tea, keratin complex. The cost of 1 package (60 ml) – 295 rubles.
- Matrix Dream Age Socolor Beauty – dyes gray hair in bright saturated shades, is evenly distributed over the strands, provides a stable, long-term result. It has drawbacks – it provokes dryness, fragility of hairs. The Socolor Beauty palette is presented in 17 shades. Features of the composition: low ammonia content, the presence of caring components (camellia oil, jojoba oil, seed mushroom). The average cost of 1 package (90 ml): 350 rubles.
- L’oreal Professionnel Color Supreme – Helps to completely paint over even 80–90% of gray hair on dark strands. It contains the substance Densilium-R, which strengthens the hair follicles, restores the structure of the hairs from the inside, makes them soft and radiant. It has one drawback – the high price (750 rubles for 16 ml). The Color Supreme palette includes 16 shades of colors. Features of the composition – does not contain ammonia.
- Kaaral Sense Colors – Italian paint, helps to completely paint over gray hair on dark hair. The product gives a lasting result (up to 6 weeks), contains a minimum of ammonia, so it does not harm the hair. The composition of the product includes aloe extract, vitamin B5, silk proteins and coconut oil, which provide comprehensive care for strands. The Kaaral Sense Colors palette includes 26 shades. The drawback is the poor coloration of very thick hair. The cost of 1 package (100 ml): 340 rubles.
- Schwarzkopf Igora Royal – contains a large number of pigments, which provide high intensity staining. The paint makes the strands soft, smooth, elastic and elastic thanks to the biotin, silica, and vitamin C that are part of the composition. Igor’s drawback – with frequent use it provokes hair loss. The palette has more than 200 shades, including red, red and light brown. Price of 1 pack (60 ml): 525 rubles.
- Palette intensive color – not only helps to color gray hair on dark hair, but also cares for them, softens, strengthens, protects from harmful effects. The paint palette includes 32 shades. The composition includes panthenol, keratin and Nutri oil. The average cost of 1 package (50 ml): 200 rubles. Palette Intensive Color has no drawbacks.
Natural dyes that help to color gray hair on dark hair include henna and basma. They have one common drawback – overdry strands with frequent use.
In this case, the powders provide a stable staining result, do not destroy the structure of the hair rods, have a therapeutic effect on the strands.
This is a greenish tint powder, which is obtained by grinding dried leaves of Lavsonia. The average cost of henna is 50 rubles per 25 g.
It strengthens hair follicles, eliminates dandruff, gives strands volume, shine and smoothness..
The powder is not used for coloring gray hair in its pure form, because it gives them fiery red and red-copper shades. How to paint gray hair with henna:
- To get a chestnut tint: in a container of glass or porcelain, mix 20 g of powder with 2 tbsp. l cocoa, dilute with hot water (90? C) until thick sour cream. Let it brew for 5-10 minutes, evenly distribute it over clean, dry hair. Soak for 3-4 hours, rinse with warm water, soften the strands with conditioner.
- To get a dark brown shade: brew black tea (2 tbsp. L. Infusion in 0.5 l of hot water (90? C)), let cool completely. Dilute the received tea with 2 tbsp. l henna to the consistency of thick sour cream, apply the mixture on strands, wrap your head with polyethylene and a towel. After 1-2 hours, rinse with cool water, use shampoo and rinse aid.
It is a gray-green powder made from indigo leaves. It contains tannins, vitamin C, tar and wax. Basma accelerates the growth of hair follicles, eliminates dandruff, softens and strengthens locks. Its average cost is 56 rubles per 25 g.
The powder will completely fill the gray hair color, but when used in pure form, it can give it a blue or green tint.
To get a more natural color, basma is mixed with henna. Proportions, staining result and exposure time:
- 1: 1 – light chestnut color, 60 minutes;
- 2: 1 – chestnut, 1.5 hours;
- 1: 2 – bronze, 1.5 hours;
- 1: 3 – black, 4 hours.
Method of using dyes:
- Pour a mixture of powders with hot water (90? C), mix thoroughly to the consistency of thick methane, let it brew for 10 minutes, and then evenly distribute over the strands.
- Wrap your head in polyethylene and a towel. Soak the right time, rinse with warm water, and then soften the strands with air conditioning.
Toning gray hair
When there is no time for dyeing at home, a beauty salon or do not want to spoil the hair with ammonia dyes, tinting agents come to the rescue:
- tint balms, shampoos, mousses, masks;
- tinting pencils, crayons, mascaras, lipsticks;
- camouflage gels and sprays.
A brief overview of some tinting products for hair:
- Tinted Balm. It will color the grayened strands without damaging their structure. Dye pigments do not penetrate deep into the hair shaft, but create a thin film on its surface. Tinted balm is good because it does not dry out the strands, but makes them soft, silky and shiny. The lack of funds – in its short-term effect, the color is washed off after 1-2 weeks.
- Camouflage gel. It will paint over gray hair while preserving the color of natural hair without damaging its structure. The product moisturizes, softens strands, soothes the scalp. Staining time – 5 minutes. The result lasts up to 2-3 weeks. Camouflage gel lacks.
- Mascara for painting gray hair. Cosmetic tinting agent. It looks like a brasmatik for eyelashes. The dye is applied to the strands using a brush, does not penetrate the hair shaft, but envelops it from the outside. Mascara has 1 big drawback – it is washed off with the slightest moisture. The staining result lasts until the first shampoo..
- Hue shampoo. It works on the principle of tinting balm: coloring pigments envelop the hair shaft from the outside, creating a thin film on its surface. It is absolutely harmless to locks, does not contain ammonia and other aggressive substances. It is used as a regular shampoo. Minus dye – short-term result, the color will wash off after 1-2 weeks.
- Tinting spray. Masks overgrown roots and gray hair on dark hair. The product is applied in a thin layer by spraying, which provides a lasting result. The spray is absolutely harmless to the strands, does not spread, does not have an ammonia smell. Its only drawback is the short-term effect, the color is washed off after the 1st shampoo.
How to paint gray hair with folk remedies
If the hair began to turn gray, and you can’t use professional dyes (for example, because of an allergy), folk remedies come to the rescue.
They are natural, harmless to hair, scalp, paint over gray-colored strands well and take care of them carefully.
Compared with chemicals, folk remedies are less resistant, so they are recommended to be used 2-3 times a week. In addition, they are not suitable for dyeing hair with a quantity of gray hair above 40%. What folk remedies are used for dyeing dark strands:
- infusion of peel of walnuts, spruce bark;
- a decoction of onion peel, oak bark;
- blackberry juice;
- ground coffee;
- Black tea.
For this method of staining, only ground or grain coffee is used. It strengthens the hair follicles, removes oily sheen, gives the strands a chocolate, chestnut or coffee brown shade, depending on its native color. Coffee can be used for brunettes with any type of hair. The method of preparation and use of the coffee mask:
- 100 g of ground coffee pour 200 ml of hot water (90? C), let it brew for 20 minutes.
- Spread evenly over dry unwashed strands.
- Wrap your head in polyethylene and a towel on top.
- Wash off with warm water after an hour..
For this staining method, only black large-leaf tea is used. It eliminates dandruff, has an antiseptic effect on the scalp. Tea gives strands of golden chocolate, copper-red, chestnut shades, depending on their native color. This dye is suitable for any type of hair. The method of preparation and use of tea masks:
- 4 tbsp. l black tea pour 0.5 liters of hot water (90? C), put on fire, boil for 15 minutes.
- Cover, wrap, let it brew for an hour.
- Apply to dry, clean hair, leave for an hour. Rinse with warm water.
Freshly squeezed blackberry juice can be used to dye any type of hair. It gives the strands a brown-red hue with a purple tint, strengthens the hair follicles. How to paint gray hair on dark strands with blackberry juice:
- Squeeze juice out of 500 g of blackberry, apply to dry hair.
- Soak for 1-2 hours, rinse with warm water.
Walnut peel strengthens the structure of hair rods, accelerates the growth of follicles, makes strands shiny, silky.
Walnut mask moisturizes and nourishes any type of hair, dyes them in a dark brown shade.
How to paint gray hair on dark strands with walnuts:
- Grind the peel of 30 unripe walnuts with a meat grinder or blender.
- Mix with 500 ml of boiling water, boil for 15 minutes in a water bath.
- Strain, cool a little, apply on hair.
- Wrap your head with polyethylene, a towel.
- After 3 hours, rinse with warm water, use an air conditioner.