- What is self-adhesive film and sticker
- Varieties of self-adhesive film
- Where and how self-adhesive films and stickers are used
- Pros and cons of self-adhesive films
With this article, we will continue our cycle dedicated to the latest finishing materials and tell you about self-adhesive films and stickers that can quickly transform the interior and appearance of furniture. We will find out what types of self-adhesive films exist, where and how they are used, what advantages and disadvantages they have.
What is self-adhesive film and sticker
Self-adhesive roll film can be called a close “relative” of the usual wallpaper. Its main difference is that when working with such a film, glue is usually not needed – just scissors or a knife and a ruler. Self-adhesive film is a colored or transparent polyvinyl chloride film, on which a decorative design (texture, pattern or pattern) can be applied on one side, and an adhesive layer on the other. The adhesive surface is protected by a layer of paper. Thus, for fixation, it is enough to remove a layer of paper and apply the film to the selected surface..
The sticker is one of the varieties of vinyl film, but it is not a solid canvas, but an image, pattern, ornament or a whole plot of a certain size. Used for decorative purposes.
Films are traditionally produced in rolls of 45, 67.5 and 90 centimeters wide. Roll lengths are usually 2, 8, 10 and 15 meters. The cost of such a roll, depending on the length, width, manufacturer’s popularity and the characteristics of the material itself, can vary from 360 to 4400 rubles. The cost of one sticker also depends on its size and design features. There are copyright stickers from famous designers, the price of which can reach several thousand rubles..
Self-adhesive vinyls are available in rolls and come in a variety of colors, patterns, or imitate different surfaces such as wood
Varieties of self-adhesive film
All self-adhesive films are usually divided into the following types:
- Plain plain colors. Can be matte or glossy.
- Metallized. Strong, shiny, can be mirrored.
- Decorative. They successfully imitate various types of wood, up to the most exotic ones, cork, metal, fabrics, mosaics, are decorated with all kinds of patterns.
- With 3D effect.
- Velor, that is, velvety.
- Stained glass, for glass. Can be transparent or opaque.
- Reflective. Designed for windows, protect the room from sunlight.
- Fluorescent. Glow in the dark.
- With a blackboard effect. Designed for drawing.
This bubble-type self-adhesive vinyl is often used in bathrooms. She is not afraid of moisture and will allow you to create an original, “watery” interior
Such films for windows and glass inserts on interior doors are usually called stained glass. They can be transparent and perfectly transmit light
Where and how self-adhesive films and stickers are used
One of the advantages of “self-adhesive” is its versatility. Self-adhesive films and stickers can be used on almost any surface – ceramic tiles, metal, plaster, wood, glass, plastic, wallpaper, drywall, mirrors. They are used to update furniture facades, decorate the mirror door of a wardrobe, create a bright accent on the wall, including in the bathroom, transform an old refrigerator or does not fit into the interior of the refrigerator, that is, literally anywhere.
The fronts of the kitchen units look like new thanks to the self-adhesive foil. And you don’t need to buy furniture, and the kitchen looks completely different.
Although in general the process of sticking a film is simple, it still has some nuances that cannot be forgotten:
- First of all, you should carefully prepare the surface on which you plan to stick the film or sticker. If the surface is flat, for example, the facade of furniture, just wipe it off from dust and stains, degrease it with a soap or alcohol solution. Cracked or uneven surfaces are sanded, puttyed and primed with an acrylic-based compound. Be sure to carefully remove the remains of lime, peeling paint and rust. Remember that the standard thickness of a vinyl film or sticker is only 120 micrometers, that is, 0.12 millimeters, so it will not hide the unevenness of the wall or facade, but, on the contrary, highlight.
- Then measure the piece of wall, facade, or tile to which the film will be glued. The place for the sticker should be highlighted with the help of dots left by a simple pencil – this way you will definitely not miss.
- Cut off the required amount of film from the roll, be sure to leave a margin of 2–3 centimeters. A fine mesh is usually drawn on the back of the roll, so it will be convenient to measure and cut. The sticker is a separate pattern so you don’t have to cut it.
- Do not rush to immediately tear off the paper from the entire piece of film – separate it carefully, trying not to tear, just a couple of centimeters and attach it to the wall or other surface. And only then, very carefully, from top to bottom, constantly leveling the film to prevent bubbles, separate the paper from the adhesive layer. The small sticker can be completely peeled off the backing paper immediately. Unlike film, such images, which can consist of several separate parts, are covered on top with a transparent mounting film, with which they are transferred to the wall or facade as a whole. Having applied the sticker to the wall or facade, it should be carefully smoothed with a soft dry cloth or squeegee, and only then remove the installation film. Of course, it’s much more convenient to work together, especially if the sticker or piece of film is large enough. One presses and levels the material, and the second pulls out the paper base.
Remember that modern high-quality self-adhesive films can be re-glued within 12 hours after the protective backing is removed. So if you fail, you have time to fix it. From bubbles, if they do appear, you can get rid of the old method tested on the wallpaper – pierce with a needle and smooth out.
Usually, there is no need to use additional glue when working with vinyl. But in some cases, for example, when decorating a large section of a wall, experts advise nevertheless to coat the section with wallpaper glue. However, this method can only be used on substrates that absorb moisture.!
Applying self-adhesive foil to horizontal surfaces such as countertops is an easier process than finishing facades or walls
If the size of the sticker exceeds one square meter, it is recommended to glue them together. The cost of these wall stickers depends on the size. On average, an image measuring 29×31 centimeters costs from 500 to 700 rubles
Pros and cons of self-adhesive films
The advantages of vinyl film undoubtedly include:
- Wide temperature range of use – from -10 to +80 ° С.
- High fracture and tensile strength.
- The drawing does not fade and is not afraid of sunlight.
- A huge selection of colors and decorative effects, you can choose the film exactly to match the furniture set, experiment with the design.
- Ease and speed of installation. The interior can be changed beyond recognition in a matter of minutes, and themed stickers will allow, for example, to create a New Year’s or spring interior.
- High wear resistance. High-quality self-adhesive film will serve you at least 5 years.
- Relatively low price, especially compared to the cost of buying new furniture.
- The surface of the film is waterproof, can be used in the bathroom and even on the glass of the shower cabin. Although the stickers with which it was decided to decorate the car, they will still serve less due to periodic contactless washing.
- Stains from the pasted surface can be removed simply with soapy water or non-abrasive detergents. Stubborn stains can be removed with ethyl alcohol. Do not use products based on acetone or abrasive substances that can damage the drawing..
Self-adhesive film also has disadvantages:
- Repeats all irregularities, so careful surface preparation is required.
- Inexpensive film can stretch or shrink. For this reason, higher quality and more expensive films should be preferred..
- Vapor tight, that is, does not “breathe”.
The existing selection of vinyl decals allows you to choose a pattern for every room, whether it’s a bright nursery or a romantic bedroom.
A fluffy dandelion, on which someone clearly blew, became the main decoration of this room. If desired, such drawings can always be quickly and inexpensively changed.
If you want to save money and create a sticker yourself, then you have a huge selection of drawings, patterns and images. On the network, you can definitely find the right option. Also, if you are confident in your artistic ability, why not paint the painting yourself? Or choose a family photo that you would like to transfer to a wall or furniture facade. You can use special computer programs to process the image and prepare for printing..
Then you should buy a film, for example, Avery or Oracal, and go to an advertising agency, where your chosen drawing will be transferred to it. Usually the order is ready the next day.
At home, the image can be simply cut with scissors. Of course, it will be difficult to achieve such clarity as in the case of cutting on a plotter, but on the other hand, such a sticker will cost significantly less than one made entirely in a printing house or advertising agency..
The top row of cabinets in this kitchen has become the brightest detail of the laconic interior. All it took was vinyl with an “autumn” pattern
As you can see, self-adhesive films and stickers have many advantages, which allows them to occupy the position of one of the most popular finishing materials. They are literally irreplaceable if you need to quickly update cabinet furniture or make an original accent in the interior design..