- Requirements for bathroom countertops
- Types and features of structures
- A variety of materials for the manufacture of countertops: advantages and disadvantages
- A natural stone
- Fake diamond
- Laminated chipboard and MDF
- Drywall sheets
- Tips for choosing a work area for the bathroom
- Bathroom Countertop Care Tips
The countertop increases the “useful” area of the bathroom, makes the room functional and comfortable. In this article we will talk about how to choose a material for a countertop, reveal the features of each of them, and also give tips on choosing and maintaining a “working area” in a shower room..
Requirements for bathroom countertops
Bathroom furniture is made taking into account the specifics of the room – the presence of high humidity, steam and water. A quality worktop must meet the following requirements:
- moisture resistant surface;
- resistance to corrosion;
- immunity to detergents;
- aesthetic appeal;
Types and features of structures
Ease of use of the countertop is largely determined by its design and installation method. Depending on the type of sink placement, the following types of work surfaces in the bathroom are distinguished.
1. One-piece worktop is made of glass, wood, natural or artificial stone. Such a design fits organically into the design of the room, is easy to use, hygienic – there are no joints between the countertop and the sink, where dirt could accumulate.
2. A countertop for an invoice or a mortise sink is the most common option. The working area unites different functional modules: a tube, a compartment for a washing machine, communications.
A variety of materials for the manufacture of countertops: advantages and disadvantages
A natural stone
For production, marble is usually used, which is given a glossy sheen or matte surface. Stone countertop adds style and luxury to the bathroom.
Advantages of models made of natural mineral:
- strength and reliability;
- good sound absorption;
- exquisite appearance.
The disadvantages include:
- high cost;
- heavy weight and complexity of transportation;
- requires special care.
An artificial stone countertop is the most practical option. It is a composite material consisting of polymers and natural mineral chips (marble, quartz, etc.). Due to this composition, the product has many advantages:
- resistance to mechanical damage;
- ease of care;
- hygiene – the material is not porous, therefore it does not absorb dirt;
- high sound absorption;
- a wide range of colors;
- you can cast a countertop of the most unusual shape;
- maintainability (acrylic surfaces).
Disadvantages of artificial stone:
- when making a long tabletop (more than 3 meters), butt joints will be noticeable;
- high cost of the product;
- acrylic stone does not withstand high temperatures (over 100 ° C);
- quartz agglomerate cannot be restored.
Glass countertops are sold complete with sinks, since the glass cannot be “adjusted” to the required dimensions by yourself. Such models look sophisticated and stylish, scratch resistant, are not afraid of detergents and mold. A significant plus is an affordable price.
Disadvantages of glass countertops:
- water stains remain on the surface.
A wooden countertop fills the bathroom with coziness and comfort, but such a product requires special care and will last no more than 10 years.
For countertops, conifers, oak and teak are used. The material is necessarily treated with a special impregnation, which increases moisture-resistant properties and prevents decay.
Laminated chipboard and MDF
Some are very skeptical about worktops made of pressed wood shavings, because such material does not react well to steam and high humidity. However, technologists give him a chance by covering chipboard and MDF with a special protective layer. A thin laminate film blocks the path of water to the structure of the material, which allows the use of such countertops in damp rooms.
Advantages of laminated particleboard and MDF countertops:
- low price;
- manufacture of products of any configuration.
Important! Even minor damage to the surface will cause the pressed wood to soak, the tabletop will begin to swell and will have to be replaced after a couple of months.
Plasterboard countertops have proven themselves well, in the manufacture of which a special moisture-resistant material is used.
Among the main advantages of such structures are:
- the ability to use different facing (tile or glass tiles, ceramic mosaics, decorative stones, etc.);
- durability of the structure;
- the countertop can be made independently, significantly saving money.
Table. Comparative characteristics of finished worktops from different manufacturers
Trademark Dobrini “Elite-Marble” Eurodesign DECO Galassia Manufacturer country Russia Ukraine Italy Italy Italy Material fake diamond a natural stone glass marble MDF Overall dimensions thickness 40 mm; depth 500 mm thickness 50 mm; depth 600 mm 1350x600x180 mm thickness 70 mm 800x520x80 mm Equipment table top table top countertop, sink table top table top Installation method suspended suspended installation on a curbstone suspended suspended The cost 65 euro / r. m 75 euro / r. m 2690 euro / unit. 370 euro / unit. 540 euro / unit.
Tips for choosing a work area for the bathroom
- Countertops made of natural and artificial stone are suitable for a countertop sink; for surface-mounted and built-in sanitary ware, it is better to choose a model made of laminated chipboard, MDF, wood or drywall.
- In a small bathroom, it is better to install a countertop sink with the ability to place a washing machine under it.
- When choosing a countertop made of acrylic stone, give preference to light-colored models. Dark glossy surfaces will be highly scratched.
- Quartz agglomerate countertops are not afraid of high temperatures and are not scratched, but they are more expensive than their acrylic counterparts.
- When installing worktops made of wood, chipboard or MDF, you need to take care of good ventilation of the bathroom so that excessive moisture does not lead to premature deformation of the product.
Bathroom Countertop Care Tips
The rules for caring for countertops depend on the material of its manufacture:
- The surface of natural stone must be treated with a special impregnation, which forms an invisible film and protects the mineral from excess moisture.
- It is enough to wipe a glossy artificial stone countertop with a soft sponge dipped in soapy water. Powdered products should be discarded.
- A window and mirror care product is suitable for cleaning glass surfaces..
- The wooden countertop should be periodically oiled. This must be done if the surface has been thoroughly cleaned or has not been used for a long time. Before processing, the oil must be slightly warmed up – this way it will penetrate deep into the wood.
- No water droplets should remain on the laminated chipboard worktop. After use, wipe the surface with a soft cloth, stains can be removed with soapy water.
A wide range of bathroom furniture allows you to choose a countertop for any size and design of a room, and you can choose not only from ready-made models, but also make your own original durable product that will serve you for many years.