The choice of handles for a kitchen unit is a very important point. You can admire them, emphasize the design of the kitchen, or you can literally spit every time, washing out hard-to-reach places or feeling uncomfortable. Realizing the importance of such a choice, Our site of advice decided to devote a separate article to handles in the kitchen..
Let’s immediately highlight the main criteria for choosing handles for a kitchen set:
- The size. A very important criterion. For example, long handles will look great on the wide facade of the kitchen cabinet, they will allow you to throw and hang a towel, which is not enough in the kitchen. Depth is also important – it should be convenient for a man with a wide palm to open the door;
- Colour. Most often chosen in accordance with the headset itself. But the handles can be metal, shiny, to look especially noticeable against the background of a wooden or painted facade;
Important! According to the designers, the handles of a kitchen set are not at all obliged to merge in color with the furniture or strictly correspond to it in style. But with other accessories in the kitchen, such as curtains, lamps, dishes – a must. In addition, it will be great if the handles on the furniture are in harmony with the handles of household appliances – refrigerator, microwave, oven.
- One fastening, that is, a mushroom handle, or two, which are inherent in long straight handles and brace handles;
- Handle surface, relief. Choosing complex handles for the kitchen means getting an additional “headache”, because you will have to wash and wipe them very often. The handle should be attractive but simple;
- Material. Plastic, as the cheapest choice, metal, as the most common, or fashionable today, durable and stylish ceramics? In fact, the choice is much wider, handles for kitchen sets can be wooden, stone, crystal, with Swarovski crystals, porcelain, glass, even leather. Imitations of copper or brass are also in fashion, which are easier to use and inexpensive;
- Form and appearance. The handles do not always protrude from the front of the furniture; they can be recessed, integrated, which is a big plus for the kitchen. In addition, there are not only handles-staples, but also “drops”, in the form of geometric shapes and so on..
There are five main types of handles for the kitchen:
- Button, it’s a mushroom. One fastening, laconicism, richness of forms make such a choice popular. Suitable for rustic or retro kitchens;
- A drop. Hanging handle, also on one mount, but completely different, more complicated than a button. Elegant, suitable for classic interiors, Provence, modern;
- Ring. Or an oval. At the same time, quite massive and elegant handles, you can choose an option for a variety of interior styles;
- Shell, shell. Often with decorative paintings or carvings, but for the kitchen, concise options are often chosen. Convenient to use;
- Brace, rail. The most popular today, modern version. As we already wrote, you can throw the towel over, and it is convenient to use, and fits to a variety of facades.
It is clear that the handles of the ring, drops, buttons, staples, shells themselves can be very different, differ significantly in design. But in general, these are the most common varieties, although, according to experts, button-shaped handles, drops and rings are morally outdated today, they look out of place in an urban minimalist style.
Important! Designers believe that it is not necessary to choose the same handles for the entire kitchen set. On the top row of cabinets, they can be more noticeable, at the bottom – simpler, more concise. This combination will give the kitchen a special flavor. But you definitely shouldn’t go overboard with a variety of handles for each cabinet and drawer separately..
Those who do not want pens to be conspicuous at all can choose the following options:
- Profile models. These are long pieces of aluminum or plastic profile that fit snugly against the side or bottom of the door, practically not protruding beyond the edge;
- Slot grip, that is, just a slot behind the facade, where a hand is inserted to open the door;
- Push Up or Tip On. The door or drawer is opened by light pressing on the facade, the mechanism is also called “shooting”.
Important! When installing handles in the kitchen with your own hands, do not forget to choose a suitable drill for the facade material and a special washer that will protect the bore hole. The portal has already written about how to assemble a furniture set with your own hands.