Disposers, food waste disposers or utilizers have long been actively used in Europe and the USA. In our country, dispensers are still a curiosity, many people think that this is a waste of money. Our tips site will tell you why and how to use a food chopper..
It is advisable to install a food disposer in an apartment for the following reasons:
- You will get rid of the unpleasant smell from the trash can. Organic waste simply disappears in a day, the “aroma” from the garbage container under the sink, for example, due to discarded fish bones, will be terrible.
- There will be no leaked garbage bags, which often happens if you throw boiled cleanings, wet organic matter into a bucket.
- You will have to take out the trash much less often. Yes, you will not be able to completely get rid of the trash can, because there is always garbage in the apartment in the form of baby diapers, crumpled unnecessary pieces of paper, dust from a vacuum cleaner bag, a broken stationery pen, a plastic or glass bottle, and so on. But the volume of waste is significantly reduced.
- Practice shows that apartment owners who have installed a disposer are less likely to encounter clogged sewers and other problems with drains.
- You care about the ecology of our planet! It is very important. The less organic matter rots in huge city dumps, the less methane – one of the causes of global warming – is released into the atmosphere..
There are two types of dispensers – hydraulic and electrical. The first one needs a water supply pressure of at least 4 bar, which is not always possible in our country. Therefore, Russians choose electric dispensers that need an electrical connection..
Important! When connecting an electric food grinder, a ground connection is essential. Think for yourself – the device is connected to both water and power. You do not want the disposer to transmit a discharge to the sink body?
Some people think that electric dispensers are expensive to run. In fact, they consume on average 4 kWh of electricity per month, that is, about 30 rubles. Absolutely inexpensive for the opportunity to help the environment and take out the trash less often. Yes, the consumption of cold water will slightly increase, because while the device grinds organic matter, you need to open the tap. But for just a few seconds.
Another myth – pushing food waste into the dispenser, you can be left without a finger. In fact, there are no knives at all and there are no sharp things inside the device! Below is a video on how food waste is shredded..
At the same time, we admit that for owners of private houses, especially with a septic tank and a storage tank, the installation of a food waste disposal unit is impractical. It’s much easier for them to organize a compost pit and get fertilizer for flower beds and beds completely free.
There is one more prejudice against the disposer – now it will not stink from the bucket, but from the sink drain, from the sewer. In fact, if this happened, then the following mistakes were made:
- Incorrect installation of the heat exchanger. An S-siphon is a must! Without it, the smells of the sewer will really burst out. In addition, a corrugation must not be placed between the siphon and the shredder. The portal wrote how to install a dispenser with your own hands. If you are not sure if you can do it yourself, hire a specialist. The service costs only about 2.5 thousand rubles, but you will be sure that everything is done correctly.
- Incorrect operation of the chopper. Violation of instructions for its use.
Each kitchen dispenser model has its own instructions. And it tells in detail what you can and cannot throw into the device. But there are general rules:
- Only organic! A prime example is a tea bag. The tea brew itself is perfectly processed by the grinder. But a string and a bag – no.
- Do not throw corn cobs and fibrous bones, particularly beef bones, into the chopper. Most models from the middle price range will not cope with such a serious load.
- Do not pour fat from pans, oil from deep fat, that is, any oily, very fatty liquids into the disposer. They will negatively affect the operation of the device, food residues will stick to the fat. This can cause malfunctions and unpleasant odors from the drain..
Important! Experienced owners advise to rinse the grinder regularly using lemon juice and its leftovers, as well as ice cubes with dishwashing detergent. You can periodically pour some baking soda into the drain..
There are not many restrictions, you must agree. In order not to suffer, where to put the oil from a deep fryer or frying pan, it is advised to install the disposer on a sink with a double bowl. They are compact and fit easily even in a tiny kitchen. In one part of the sink, you can wash pans, and in the other, you can flush food waste into the grinder.
Of course, you can still throw away cleaners and food leftovers in the trash can without the expense of buying a disposer. But everyone who has ever thought about the problem of garbage disposal on Earth understands the importance of such devices. Also, it’s just convenient.