Choosing a kitchen unit, owners have to decide not only on the color, number and location of cabinets. It is necessary to decide whether the facades will be glossy or matte. Both options are equally popular. Let’s figure out in which case one should prefer this or that.
Glossy kitchen fronts have two distinct advantages:
- more ceremonial, brilliant appearance;
- the ability to visually expand the space due to mirror reflection.
However, all splashes, stains, fingerprints are perfectly visible on glossy facades, careful care will be required. True, there are modern headsets with a protective upper coating on which fingerprints literally evaporate. But such kitchens are also more expensive..
A glossy kitchen will give the room a solemn, bright, ceremonial, but somewhat cold look. At the same time, matte facades can make the kitchen warmer, more cozy, create an atmosphere of comfort and a calm family atmosphere..
Hence, the first selection criterion, one might say, is psychological:
- if you want to get a bright kitchen that will amaze guests and make the room a ceremonial dining room – choose gloss;
- want to create an atmosphere of family coziness and comfortable kitchen – matte facades will perfectly cope with this task.
The second selection criterion may be the size of the kitchen. Designers note that, due to reflections, glossy facades help to visually make the room a little larger. Therefore, gloss is called a suitable choice for small kitchens. However, there are other ways to make a tiny kitchen visually larger, so this criterion cannot be called decisive..
Opinions also differ regarding the facades of the kitchen, which is attached to the living room, dining room:
- Some designers are sure that in this case, the kitchen area should be done with matte facades so that it does not catch the eye. The main part of the room will still be the guest area, so even if it dominates;
- On the other hand, other experts in the field of interior decoration believe that gloss is more appropriate in the kitchen-living room. This is the central room of the house and everything should be beautiful here, including the cooking area;
- And the third designers are sure that both matte and glossy facades in the kitchen-living room have a right to exist. The main thing is that the overall impression of the room is pleasant, and the interior is solid, in a single stylistic direction.
The third selection criterion is the style of the kitchen. It is generally accepted that gloss is much more suitable for modern and bright interiors, for example, high-tech, brutal loft, modern, glamorous art deco.
Matte facades are good old classics, cute Provence, rustic country and other styles with history, emphasis on home comfort and traditional solutions.
Almost all designers agree with this selection criterion. Agree, it will be difficult to imagine shiny kitchen facades next to a round table covered with an embroidered tablecloth, a small-checkered curtain and other attributes of a rustic style..
The fourth selection criterion should be the location of the kitchen itself. If it faces south, then the abundance of sunbeams on glossy facades can be annoying and hit in the eyes. In this case, matte facades will be more relevant, because there is enough natural light. In contrast, for a dark kitchen with a north facing window, a bright gloss may be the best way to add light..
The choice of kitchen fronts is, of course, a matter of taste. We have given you the main criteria that you can follow when choosing between gloss and mat. However, the most important thing is that you personally like the kitchen and be functional..