Our tips site continues to guide you through the different styles of interior design. Today we will introduce you to such an interesting direction as hipster style. Let’s consider all its main features, give illustrative examples, compare with other styles of interior design.
Let’s immediately define the main feature of a hipster interior – it’s not just design, it’s a philosophy, a lifestyle! Just like the Japanese wabi-sabi, the Scandinavian lagom and hygge, which the portal has already told you about.
To understand what a hipster interior should be like, you need to remember where this direction came from. According to Wikipedia, hipsters are representatives of a special subculture that appeared in the middle of the last century in the United States, and reached its peak of popularity towards the end of the 2000s. As the authoritative magazine Time wrote, hipsters are easy to distinguish by style of clothing, as well as musical preferences..
The main interests and differences of representatives of the hipster subculture:
- Travels. And usually not in tourist places, but where foreigners rarely come;
- Vintage items, respect for retro style;
- Healthy lifestyle, vegetarianism, focus on environmental friendliness and nature conservation;
- Modern gadgets, all kinds of technological innovations;
- Art house, postmodern literature, passion for music and painting, which few people like and know;
- Somewhat casual style of clothes, a sweater “from grandma”, skinny jeans, plaid shirts. Often second-hand.
And how could such versatile hobbies of hipsters affect the style of the interior? According to design experts, hipster style is always something out of the ordinary. It is important for hipsters to stand out from the crowd, show that they are creative personalities, they know how to combine vintage things with the most modern technologies..
The first thing to note is that hipsters will never skimp on technology. A robot vacuum cleaner, a refrigerator that will remind you to buy groceries, a modern air conditioning and heating system – all this and much more will be in the hipster interior. Although such things are invisible at first glance, they have a significant impact on the quality of life and provide comfort. So a real hipster interior is always a “smart interior”.
Let’s highlight other main differences of hipster style in the interior:
- The decoration of the walls and ceiling is rough, not much attention has been paid to it. This is brick, concrete, which makes hipster style similar to loft, simple paint in neutral shades. The ceiling is most often also simply painted;
- The walls are decorated with posters, unusual paintings by contemporary artists and bicycles. Yes, a two-wheeled vehicle is very often part of a healthy hipster lifestyle. And in the apartment, the bike is not just stored somewhere on the loggia, but displayed in a prominent place. For example, they hang on the wall in the living room;
- Old photographs, a vintage record player, books, records are also often used as decor – everything that actually reflects the hobbies of the owner of the house. Such items are not hidden in cabinets, but become part of the installation;
- Furniture can be either ultramodern, cabinet, modular, built-in, or retro. Moreover, these pieces of furniture quietly coexist. Chairs in the dining area and armchairs in the living room are often mismatched, assembled according to the principle “I like it this way”;
- The lighting is of high quality, there is always a backlight in different functional areas, the emphasis is on unusual lamps, often designer or handmade;
- The floor can be any, but most often it is wood or its imitation;
- The curtains are light, transparent, textiles – from a knitted blanket to bright pillows of an original shape.
Of course, the hipster interior is a mixture of styles, a kind of fusion. These are details taken from the loft, hi-tech, Scandinavian design direction, a mixture of old and new. It is important to remember that a hipster-style interior is always very individual and will suit you if you generally share the hobbies and principles of this subculture..