There are so many styles of interior design that it is often very difficult to dwell on one specific one. How many people – so many opinions, it is clear, and how to choose your own interior, in which you will be comfortable for many years? Our advice site decided to deal with this interesting topic..
The portal devoted a whole series of articles to various styles of interiors. We wrote about cute provence, and about “advanced” hi-tech, and about fashionable Scandinavian style. And even about such exotic interiors for our reality as wabi-sabi and Swedish lagom.
Yes, there are styles that are easy to choose between, because the difference is simply striking. Fans of an industrial loft will not choose a calm and, what should be hidden, a little boring classics. The incredibly big difference between laconic minimalism and lush, artsy baroque also makes the choice an easy task..
But there are styles that are generally similar to each other. In addition, very often the owners of a house or apartment go for mixing design directions, creating their own comfortable modern interior..
To begin with, let’s decide that some interior styles are not suitable for rooms with specific characteristics. Here is the opinion of the designers:
- Palace, lush style is definitely not suitable for a cramped “Khrushchev”.
- Ranch, country, rustic and other rustic styles are best reserved for private homes rather than apartments. Some designers also include Provence here with the Mediterranean style, but this is already controversial, such options can be easily implemented in urban housing.
- In a brand new apartment, pseudo-loft or retro will look unconvincing.
Universal styles can be confidently called neoclassic, its simpler, more modern version, minimalism, Scandinavian interior and contemporary.
Of course, it will not be superfluous to decide on your favorite color scheme, preferences in textile elements or their absence, the functional component of the rooms. However, often all these moments do not help the owners to choose their own version of the room decor..
There is a very effective technique that is recommended by almost all designers – photography. Yes, just photos of the interiors that you like. How to implement this method of choosing an interior style, decoration and decor elements, we will tell you step by step.
So let’s get started:
- To get started, collect your collection of interior photos. Just browse thematic sites, pictures according to queries in search engines, buy glossy publications dedicated to design. What you definitely like is to your collection, to your bookmarks, to a folder with photos cut from magazines. Collect enough images to compare, take your time.
- Once again, review everything you have collected and leave those illustrations that actually “catch the eye” that you want to bring to life in your own apartment.
- Let’s move on to classification. Which interior style do you have the most images of? Is there a clear leader, for example, modern or bright boho? It seems that the choice is almost made. No clear preference? Divide the photos into separate categories of premises: kitchen, living room, bedroom. Perhaps you like classic living rooms, but in the kitchen you want a more concise Scandinavian style. This is normal, because the functions of the rooms are also different..
- Moving on to the details. Decide what you like best in the photo. Maybe you like a dark kitchen floor, a gray sofa and moldings in the living room, just such a chandelier in the bedroom. We advise you to divide all images into categories: floor, lighting, wallpaper, wall color, ceiling. This will make it much easier to choose the elements that you like the most..
- As a result, you will have a classified gallery of images of interiors that suit you exactly or offer the desired decor details. There is something to stop at!
Don’t worry if you haven’t chosen a clear stylistic direction! There are many examples of successful mixing of individual elements of interior styles in one house. The main thing is to feel the measure, not to forget about the functional load of each room and carefully select the decor items from the ones you like the most..