In this article, we will talk about the emergence of the loft style, describe its principles, advantages and main features. With the help of a simple test, you can assess how a fashionable studio loft layout is right for you and whether it is worth equipping a loft-style space at home.
Thus, the settlers had at their disposal spacious rooms, high ceilings and large, but windowless walls..
Americans know how to use any resources. Artists, musicians and other creative people were happy to equip these areas both for their studios and for housing. This is where the style features of the loft came from – the main thing is space and unassuming finishing materials. Furniture and accessories are available, but bright, original and even catchy. They contain the creative ideas of the owner, who wants to decorate his home quickly and economically. In today’s environment, the same trends.
Test. Is the loft style right for you?
We propose to pass a small and simple test that will help you decide whether this style is right for you, whether you will be comfortable living in a room equipped in a loft layout. Answer honestly yes or no to the following statements.
We estimate the premises:
- Do you have temporary housing? It does not belong to you, and you will move from it in the next two or three years.?
- How spacious is this room? Are partitions missing?
- What is the height of the ceilings? More than 3 meters?
- Is there a sufficient level of sanitary norms and rules in the room? Free of mold or mildew?
- Are the walls of the room already interesting by themselves? This is brickwork, on the bricks you can see impressions of stamps of pre-revolutionary presses, coats of arms of factories. And they are so pleasant to look at …
- Are there open roof trusses in the room? Are they in good enough condition? This is far from junk that requires urgent replacement, taking into account the safety of being in the room..
- There are other solid items that can be considered a historical trophy and art object.?
- If communications are open, then their use is possible in the next 10 years?
Assess your own preferences and life values:
- You have a high pace of life, which does not accept long cleaning.
- You do not have a servant who will put things in order at least twice a week.
- A minimum budget is allocated for the arrangement of the premises.
- You are creative and ready to live and create in the same room.
- You don’t need many rooms.
- Prefer a spacious open plan.
- You are freedom-loving and not attached to housing.
- You consider yourself an extravagant person.
- Someone else’s opinion does not bother you, but only encourages shocking.
Your stylistic preferences:
- You like laconic furniture.
- You feel stuffy in small rooms, want a lot of air and freedom of movement.
- You value practical furniture, your heart bleeds and does not allow you to throw it away.
- You can feel stylistic differences between the items available, but you are not worried.
- Your creative credo: the worse the better.
- You want to do something yourself in this room with your own hands, and this is not a motive for saving, but a creative urge and a desire to give new life to old things.
The more “yes” in your answers, the more advantages for organizing a loft renovation.
In no case choose a loft style if at least one of the following statements is true:
- I want my own private room.
- Home should be comfortable.
- I am an adherent of cleanliness and order.
- I have a small apartment and I love it.
- I hate the very idea of minimalism.
- I have my own big house, high ceilings.
Ideas for implementation
The main thing in the development of any interior is the planning solution. Despite the large areas – think it over. It is necessary to clearly understand how the space will be organized so as not to move furniture and not to conduct new communications and power grids.
There are cold shades of colors in the style. Typically, these are white, gray, blue and black. The accent should go to metal and silver. Do not use other colors if possible. Be concise in your choice of colors.
If you want warm and cozy colors, for example, red brickwork, then this should be practically the only object on which all attention is focused..
The furniture in the loft is functional, creates the feeling that it has been moved from the office: folding chairs, shelving made of wood and metal. Glass tables and plastic chairs are possible. The main requirement is “transparency”, which does not visually clutter up the space, leaving the eye the opportunity to see through the room, the feeling of “air”. Moreover, the more unexpected and original these free-standing pieces of furniture look, the more refined their outlines and colors, the more interesting. Renovated old sideboards, sofas, armchairs coexist in color (the neighborhood is very important in color). Color preferences: whiteness, dustiness and aged vintage.
Industrial items made by accessories, such as rebar gratings and fences, will also be included..
Non-standardness is welcome: old posters, graffiti, even road signs and telephone booths of past eras are a paradise for Plyushkin, which collects incompatible things.
Make mirrors in baroque frames, and mirrors and paintings can not be hung on the wall, but simply leaned back. Pretentious chandeliers are possible in the vicinity of techno-style objects.
It is best to emphasize the style on metal and lighting effects. High ceilings, maximum illumination – the main feature of the style.
If you really want privacy – this is the only way you can fence yourself off from free space at night.
Now at the peak of popularity, ecoloft, which combines all the features of a loft – high ceilings, panoramic windows, free space, only its main emphasis is on environmental friendliness. As a rule, it is located not in polluted urban and industrial premises, but in ecologically clean areas. This compares favorably with an ordinary loft located in an industrial, urban area. The purpose-built space is architecturally regarded as a loft area, in which great attention is paid to sustainable materials and greenery inside the space.
Loft has many faces and almost everyone can find an implementation for themselves in modern conditions.