In an effort to streamline their life, to accommodate the maximum possible number of things and furniture in a small area, the owners of houses and apartments sometimes resort to such an option as a wardrobe around the window. Let’s, together with our site, see how such an arrangement of furniture might look.
The advantages of installing a cabinet or shelves around a window are obvious:
- Space is saved, because usually this wall around the window opening is simply empty;
- The room gets an original look;
- This is very practical – under the window between the columns of the cabinets, you can place a computer or desk, making the most of the usable space;
- Tall and narrow cabinets-columns will visually raise the low ceiling;
- The portal gave you ideas for using a window sill in the interior. The window sill can also perform additional functions between the cabinets;
- This arrangement of furniture can be used in any room of the house – in the kitchen, in the bedroom, in the nursery, in the living room, in the office..
What can be placed around the window? Anything:
- In the nursery, these can be cabinets and shelves for books, toys, school supplies;
- In the bedroom there are shelves for cute little things and spacious wardrobes for clothes;
- In the kitchen, shelves and cabinets with doors for stocks of food, dishes, household appliances and all kinds of utensils;
- In the living room and study – bookcases and shelves for useful items and souvenirs.
Designers urge not to get carried away with the depth of the cabinets around the window. It is clear that you want to create the largest possible storage space for many items. However, this will negatively affect the natural light of the room, especially if the side is north. However, as you can see in the two photos above, sometimes the cabinets around the window opening can be made deep enough. But this is more the exception than the rule..
Design experts advise keeping the cabinets and shelves light-colored around the window so they don’t clutter up the space. A good option is to paint them in the color of the walls so that they generally “dissolve” against their background. By the way, in a rectangular room, where the door is opposite the window, you can use the mirrored option – cabinets both around the window and around the doorways.
The style of the cabinets should correspond to the entire design of the room and can be almost anything – from laconic minimalism to elaborate baroque carvings.
There is only one drawback to this arrangement of cabinets – you will have to make custom-made furniture, strictly according to your size. It can be cabinet or built-in, but individual sizes and wishes of the owners will raise the price.