By the type of installation, door locks are divided into three types:
- Overhead. The easiest option. It is easy to change the patch lock yourself, because it is attached on top of the door leaf. The kit also includes a metal jamb attachment, but the handle usually does not. Overhead locks cannot be called a reliable option..
- Mortise locks. They are embedded inside the door leaf, both entrance and interior. Most modern castles can now be attributed to this type..
- Built-in. Option for a metal door. The lock acts as a direct part of the door leaf, that is, the door is sold already with a closing mechanism.
Whatever the door lock, its device includes the following details:
- a pen;
- fallopian uvula;
- retractable crossbars;
- overhead panel;
- a secret mechanism, which is also called a larva.
We emphasize that the reliability of the lock will depend on the larva. The more combinations of the secret mechanism are available, the more difficult it will be to pick the lock. Some modern models of locks cannot be opened with a master key at all, their level of secrecy implies opening exclusively with a native key..
So, the larva is the mechanism that blocks the structure in the doorway, preventing unwanted guests from entering the room. By the type of secret mechanism, it is customary to distinguish between the following types of locks:
- Cylinder locks. Familiar to everyone and quite simple products. The secret part is located in the main part, which is similar in shape to a cylinder, which gave the name to this type of lock. In this case, there are pins inside the larva, they block the mechanism when the lock is closed. The key must have notches that fit the pins and help move them out of place. These castles are also often referred to as English castles..
- Disk. Experts consider such locks to be unreliable. There are discs inside the lock, which are shifted with a special key, which looks like a bar cut in half with notches. The key shifts the disks, they turn, a tunnel is formed and the door opens. Such disc locks were often installed on iron staircase doors before, but now this option is a thing of the past..
- Cross locks. As the name implies, the larva is cruciform; the same key is attached to it. It is noteworthy that the degree of secrecy of the cross locks is quite high – at least 20 thousand combinations. However, such a device can be hacked even with an ordinary Phillips screwdriver, and the secret mechanism itself is attached to the lock body with only two screws, the armor plate is not protected.
- Crossbar locks. From German the word “bolt” is translated as “bolt or bolt”. This is the principle of operation of this type of device – the key pushes or pushes a special metal bolt inside the lock, that is, a bolt. On the reverse side, the crossbar locks are equipped with a latch.
- Lever locks. Experts call them the most reliable option. There are plates – suvalds inside the lock mechanism. The special key is shaped like a soldier or a butterfly. When the key is turned, the levers are raised to the level specified by the coding. The secrecy of the lock can exceed 5 million combinations. The downside is a sufficiently large hole for the key, but the burglar’s work can be hampered by the protective lever and false grooves.
- Combination locks. In this case, instead of a key, a secret set of numbers is used, entering which opens the device..
All types of locks listed by us are of the mechanical type. However, door locks can also be electromechanical. In this case, the bolt will be powered by an electric motor. Such locks are not widely used in everyday life, they are more often used in massive bank safes, where it is too difficult to close the bolt manually.
In electromagnetic locks, a magnet acts as a locking mechanism. The most modern options include an electronic lock, which has the following features:
- there is a built-in controller;
- you can use indoor or outdoor option;
- opens with a key fob or contactless card;
- protected from vandals.
In addition, electronic locks can be easily connected to an alarm system or a “smart home” complex. It is impossible to open an electronic lock using conventional methods, there is no keyhole. You will have to apply such methods as signal interception or code selection. Well, or break down the entire front door, saw through the metal rods that block the entrance, that is, apply tough forceful methods.
The main disadvantage of the electronic lock is that it is strictly tied to the power supply. Simply – there is no light – the door is not locked. You either have to provide a backup power source, or additionally install a mechanical lock in case of a power outage.
As you can see, the choice of modern locks is very large, and the price, of course, will depend on the degree of reliability, the metal used, the manufacturer. Let’s clarify that our article dealt with locks for entrance doors, interior doors have their own characteristics, much less requirements are put forward for them in terms of reliability.