- Standard wood scaffolding
- Basic elements of wooden scaffolding
- Rules for the construction of wooden scaffolding
- Scaffolding assembly
- Accessories for the device of wooden scaffolding
From this article you will learn how to properly assemble wooden scaffolding with your own hands – a step-by-step instruction has been prepared for you. The article will tell you about the requirements for individual elements and construction in general. You will also learn about accessories for working at height.
Scaffolding is a temporary or permanent system of supports and ladders, which serves for lifting and working at height. They are subject to increased requirements for strength, stability and safety, since working at a height of more than 1.5 m is traumatic.
Regardless of the material and design principle, the following general requirements are imposed on the scaffolding:
- Reliability. The system of elements must be able to withstand the weight of workers and material in motion.
- Manufacturability. It implies the convenience of assembling / disassembling the entire structure. This job should be handled by a handyman or entry-level specialist..
- Economy. The structure must contain an admissible minimum of elements, but at the same time be stable and reliable.
- Utility. For inventory scaffolding – the ability to reuse the structure and individual elements as much as possible. For wood – the ability to reuse the material after disassembly for other purposes without significant loss of quality.
Inventory scaffolds are professional and expensive products. It is unprofitable to purchase them for home use, only rent is possible with a large amount of work (for example, with the facade of a house). As a rule, in private construction it is customary to erect conditionally disposable scaffolding that exactly matches the structure of the building..
Standard wood scaffolding
The design of these scaffolds came to us from the Middle Ages. The principle of forming the frame and connecting parts has not changed since then. Only the fasteners themselves have been improved. You should pay special attention to them..
Basic elements of wooden scaffolding
1 – racks; 2 – are transverse; 3 – flooring; 4 – braces; 5 – stabilizing slopes
Racks. Good quality edged board vertical supports. They perceive the normal (according to the gravity vector) load from the entire structure and transfer it to the base (ground). Rack requirements:
- Edged board of the 1st grade of any breed.
- Board thickness – at least 30 mm, width – at least 100 mm.
- Mechanical integrity of each individual element. The board should not be broken, broken, rotten, crooked, of variable cross-section, with excessive wane or holes..
- The board must not be affected by insects.
Particular attention should be paid to the vertical splice assembly. Elements should be connected “end-to-end”, not “overlap” and clamped on both sides.
Crossbars. They take the load from the flooring and transmit it to the racks. The requirements for them are similar to those for the racks. One additional requirement: Spliced cross members must not be used without additional support.
Flooring. Cross ladders that transfer the load from people and materials to the cross members. It can be made of edged or unedged boards, and also be combined – guides from the board, sheet material on top. Solid flooring and staggered are allowed.
Braces. Diagonal ties connecting posts of different rows. The use of slats, slabs is allowed. It is advisable to install the braces of the maximum length in order to tie the largest number of racks.
Slopes. Diagonal stops supporting the structure in order to avoid deviation from the wall. Usually a board of 25 mm is used.
Rules for the construction of wooden scaffolding
There is a set of general rules, following which you can assemble a reliable and safe structure. These rules are derived from the safety requirements and the experience of high-altitude craftsmen:
- The foundation must be solid. If there is loose earth or sand under your feet, make wooden platforms to support the racks.
- Passage width between posts – not less than 500 mm.
- For each node – at least 3 attachment points. For multi-point fastening – pitch 50-70 mm staggered.
- Use heavy-duty self-tapping screws (at least 4.2 mm). In case of assembly on nails (100 mm), bend them on the back.
- Always install the handrails on the inside of the rack.
- Apply a frontal board (guardrail at the deck).
- Racks at the interface must be trimmed.
- Column spacing from 1 to 2 m, minimum deck thickness 25 mm.
To create a wooden scaffold structure, you need a minimum of tools: a saw, a hammer with nails and a tape measure.
- The length of the working space should be divided by the optimal step (1.5 m) and the number of racks should be obtained.
- Putting together an “envelope” – a frame of racks and crossbars. To do this, lay out two boards in parallel and measure the height of the tier. We sew them in this place with a crossbar.
Attention! The angle between the upright and the cross member must be 90 °. Misalignments can deform the frame under load.
- We sew the frame with a brace.
- We prepare the required number of “envelopes”.
- Install two “envelopes” vertically, in the design position. Sew them with a brace at the maximum height so that they stand without support.
- Set the number of envelopes according to the length of the floorboard so that its edges fall on the crossbars.
- Slide the floorboard onto the crossbars and secure. Reinforce brace.
- Fasten the flooring from above with self-tapping screws or nails.
- Install the rest of the “envelopes” and flooring in the same way.
Attention! Never, under any circumstances, splice the deck between the supports! The joint of the boards or flooring sheets must fall on the crossbar!
- Install handrail and frontal board.
- Tie the structure to the wall if possible.
- If the height is more than 2 tiers and you need to build racks, you should first install the slopes. To do this, tie the racks at the bottom with a horizontal board of maximum length. Then tie the edge of this board to the top of the rack – you get a reliable triangular stop.
The scaffolding is dismantled in the reverse order – dismantling of the flooring, crossbars, extended racks, slopes and envelopes. Disassembly should be carried out by qualified and experienced carpenters.
Accessories for the device of wooden scaffolding
Steel cross member – bracket
This element greatly simplifies installation, allowing you to quickly change the level of the flooring. Such a device should correspond to the section of the board.
This bracket can be wood or steel. Allows you to attach the scaffold directly to the wall. For the device of flooring on its basis, several boards for the ladder are enough. But at the same time, to rearrange it, you have to dismantle it. Installation of anything from the bottom up is not possible. The most dangerous type of high-rise scaffold. Work requires special skill and care.
Mason’s Express Scaffold
Created from pallets on which bricks were brought. For flooring, as a rule, a rafter board is used. Does not require sawing the material, at the same time they are quite reliable, if you do not make spans of more than 1.5 m.
Mason scaffold on video
Whichever type of scaffold or forest you choose, remember that your life and health are in your hands. Saving one board or 10 minutes of time to strengthen can turn into unpleasant and sometimes serious consequences..