Lightweight building blocks today have significantly pushed brick in the private housing market. One of the peculiarities of using blocks is laying on a special adhesive. Our advice site decided to figure out what adhesives for building blocks exist, how to choose them correctly.
Today in the field of construction of private houses and outbuildings, popular materials are:
- Aerated concrete, about the pros and cons of which the portal wrote in detail.
- Expanded clay concrete.
- Foam concrete and polystyrene concrete.
- Gas silicate.
- Gypsum tongue-and-groove plates and blocks for partitions.
As you can see, there are many types of blocks for construction. Therefore, the first criterion for choosing an adhesive is its purpose. There are adhesives specifically for foam blocks, where finely crushed white quartz sand is added. There are adhesives for expanded polystyrene concrete, which includes Portland cement. Etc. On the packaging of the glue, the manufacturer is obliged to indicate for which type of blocks it is intended.
Important! At the same time, there are universal adhesives suitable for all types of building blocks. They are only divided into winter and summer.
The main advantages of using a special glue for laying blocks over traditional home-made cement-sand mortar is to minimize the thickness of the seam with a high rate of connection reliability. If the blocks are perfectly even, purchased from a trusted manufacturer, then the seam thickness will be only one to two millimeters. Such walls are distinguished by high heat retention rates, mold and mildew do not appear on them..
At the same time, when laying on a conventional cement-sand mortar, the thickness of the seam between the blocks is from 2 centimeters. The difference is obvious.
Experts say that the higher cost of adhesives for building blocks pays off with their economical consumption and the absence of the need to additionally insulate the facade. Thick seams made of cement-sand mortar will become cold bridges and reduce the thermal efficiency of the walls. In the case of using glue, this will not happen..
Manufacturers must indicate consumption per square meter on packages of adhesive. Usually it is three to four kilograms. However, in reality, the consumption of glue depends on the weather conditions, the skill of the mason, the evenness of the blocks themselves. Therefore, you should always take the adhesive with a margin. Like blocks.
Some of the most inexpensive block glue mixtures are produced by the Unis Uniblock and Zabudova brands. In addition, brands of adhesives for gas silicate blocks “Prestige”, “Bonolit” and “Pobedit-160” are popular among builders. Inexpensive – up to 150 rubles – there are Rusean adhesives. Universal glue for building blocks is produced by Volma. Ceresit, Bonolit, Quick-Mix, AeroStone, YTONG and AEROC are also recognized brands in the construction market. These manufacturers produce adhesives for blocks in packages of 25 kilograms, time-tested and have good reviews from specialists.
When choosing an adhesive for building blocks, you need to pay attention to the following important points:
- How long is the pot life of the finished solution? Usually no more than three hours, then it begins to freeze. Therefore, you need to dilute with water a relatively small amount, which the master will have time to use during this time..
- How long can you adjust the position of the blocks? A thin layer of glue sets after about 15 minutes, then it will be problematic to align the masonry – the block will reliably attach to the bottom layer.
- What is the water consumption per 1 kilogram of the composition? Most often it is 250 milliliters.
- What is the recommended layer thickness? Can be up to 8 millimeters, which is already quite a lot.
- What are the surface adhesion and compressive strength? The first indicator is most often at least 0.5 MPa, the second – 8 MPa.
When using block adhesives, it is very important to thoroughly mix the mixture with water using a construction mixer or a drill with a special attachment. It is necessary to accurately observe the proportions of water and add the dry mixture to the water, and not vice versa. And remember that using a notched trowel and special tools for applying the composition can reduce its consumption by 20%..
Important! When buying building blocks for your home, immediately ask the manufacturer which adhesive composition he recommends and why. This will allow you to make the right choice, guided by the advice of a professional.