Foam glass cannot be called a new material. It was invented back in the 30s of the last century, but at first it was used only in Canada. This material has not yet become widespread in Russia. Our tips site has found out where foam glass can be used, what are the pros and cons it has.
The portal has already written about how to use foam glass blocks in the construction of a private house. We also talked about the technical characteristics of this material, its indicators and parameters..
Now let’s take a closer look at the scope of foam glass application:
- Construction of swimming pools and sports grounds;
- Construction of private houses;
- Insulation of facades and walls inside the house, insulation of the roof, floor, utilities;
- Construction of garden paths, greenhouses, hotbeds;
- Arrangement of the drainage system;
- Construction of chicken coops, sheds and other farm buildings.
Recall that foam glass is produced in the form of blocks, formed products and granular backfill, which outwardly resembles the usual expanded clay. It is clear that blocks and granular foam glass have different applications. And foam glass cylinders are ideal for insulating chimneys and pipes. But in any case, this material is considered an ideal, durable insulation. The backfill is used inside the walls, on the floor and in the attic. And blocks – for insulating facades and building various objects.
Due to its technical characteristics and production features, foam glass has numerous advantages:
- It is not afraid of rust and microorganisms, pests do not live in it, fungus and mold do not form;
- Possesses chemical inertness;
- High sound absorption rates – 45–56 dB, which is comparable to mineral wool;
- Does not absorb moisture. This is an important advantage of foam glass over aerated concrete, which should not be left outdoors, it must be protected from moisture with plaster and other coatings;
- Environmentally friendly material;
- Does not burn, does not support combustion, belongs to class A1;
- The material is easy to use, non-professionals can work with foam glass;
- The blocks are characterized by constant size and ideal shape. Such walls will not shrink, will retain their dimensions in any conditions;
- The material is vapor-tight – 0.005 mg / (m.h. Pa). Ideal vapor barrier;
- The service life, as the manufacturers assure, is 100 years;
- Capable of withstanding pressure up to 100 tons per 1 square meter;
- Does not collapse due to precipitation and temperature changes, does not form cold bridges.
Foamed glass has few disadvantages. Firstly, the material is inelastic, therefore it is afraid of mechanical damage. However, insulation is rarely hit. Secondly, blocks of foam glass must be securely fixed and strictly adhere to the laying technology so that cracks do not appear in the walls.
Thirdly, and this is the main disadvantage – foam glass is more expensive than other heaters and blocks.
Pittsburgh Corning, Chinese “Neo Tim” and Belarusian “Gomelglass” are known among foreign producers of foam glass in our country. Domestic producers – “Penosital”, “Termoizol”, “Neoprom”, “Saitaks” and a number of others, but their capacity is relatively small. A cubic meter of granulated foam glass can cost more than 9 thousand rubles, and a package of four blocks measuring 600x600x50 millimeters – from 1.2 thousand rubles.