Residents of apartments with loggias have the opportunity to expand their usable area. And it is obvious that the expansion of the space should begin with glazing (if not provided initially), and then – insulation. High-quality thermal insulation must be provided for the walls, floor and ceiling of the loggia.
We are in a hurry to disappoint those who believe that energy-efficient double-glazed windows and an additional battery are enough. Any project of a residential building with loggias does not provide for a person to be in a loggia in winter. Walls, floors and ceilings are not designed for maximum heat retention. It is cold in the loggia in late autumn, winter and early spring.
All these troubles are eliminated by an effective insulation that will provide normal room temperature in the loggia and the room or kitchen combined with it at any time of the year. The best choice would be high-quality and effective thermal insulation of the PENOPLEX COMFORT brand® from extruded polystyrene foam.
Advantages of PENOPLEX COMFORT® boards for loggia insulation
- Low coefficient of thermal conductivity – provides high-quality thermal protection even with small thickness.
- Zero water absorption – will prevent dampness, the development of fungus and mold.
- Ease of installation.
Insulation of the loggia with high-quality PENOPLEX COMFORT® any person who is not afraid to work with his hands can do it. You should not be afraid of the unpleasant consequences that sometimes overwhelm us in contact with some building materials. PENOPLEX boards® environmentally friendly and safe for health. They are made from general-purpose polystyrene, which is also widely used in the production of food packaging, children’s toys, cocktail tubes, refrigerator parts..
Unlike some materials made from natural raw materials, in modern production of which synthetic additives are inevitably present, PENOPLEX® does not contain fine fibers, dust, phenol-formaldehyde resins, soot, slags. Freons are not used in its manufacture. Therefore, working with PENOPLEX® does not require respiratory and skin protection.
Safety of PENOPLEX thermal insulation application® in the apartment is confirmed by the conclusion of the sanitary and epidemiological examination.
Many will cope with the insulation of the loggia with their own hands, because PENOPLEX® easy to install. The slabs have optimal geometry – there are L-shaped edges on all sides, which makes it easy to join them.
Warming the loggia with PENOPLEX COMFORT® on their own
To insulate the loggia, you will need the following:
- Thermal insulation PENOPLEKS® COMFORT. The required thickness for the combined loggia is 40-60 mm. Thickness can be calculated with a calculator on the PENOPLEX website.
- Moisture resistant gypsum plasterboard (GKL) or gypsum fiber (GVL) sheets.
- Screed for PENOPLEX slabs® made of cement-sand mixture with reinforcing mesh. With a “dry” coating – two layers of board materials, such as gypsum fiber board, particle board, OSB or plywood, overlapping joints.
- To create a vapor barrier layer, foil-clad polyethylene film or thin, 3-mm foil-clad foamed polyethylene are used
- PENOPLEX polyurethane adhesive® FASTFIX®.
- Self-tapping screws for fastening sheets of gypsum board, gypsum plasterboard to the guides.
Loggia insulation scheme
The sequence of warming the loggia using PENOPLEX COMFORT®:
- Window blocks are installed. FASTFIX household polyurethane foam will be an excellent means of sealing joints.®.
- PENOPLEX COMFORT boards® fastened with disc dowels with plastic cores to the surface of the side walls, front wall, floor, ceiling.
- Joints between structures are processed with FASTFIX polyurethane glue®, which can also be used to seal gaps between PENOPLEX boards®.
- A vapor barrier is attached – foil-clad polyethylene film or foil-clad foamed polyethylene with a thickness of 3 mm. The vapor barrier is attached to all insulated structures using polyurethane glue compatible with polystyrene, or on double-sided tape. The vapor barrier is placed in the joint, while the joint between the canvases and the structures is glued with metal tape. How to create a “thermos effect”.
- We mount the balcony floor. For thermal insulation PENOPLEKS® the following bases can be laid:
- Cement-sand screed (thickness 4 cm). A temperature gap of 1 cm must be left between the vertical wall and the screed.To do this, it is enough to install a strip of foamed PE with a thickness of 1 cm around the perimeter before pouring the screed.After the screed has hardened, the ceramic tiles are laid on the tile adhesive.
- DSP screed with electric or water heating – according to the technology of the underfloor heating system.
- Continuous flooring from gypsum fiber board (gypsum fiber sheets) – arranged in two layers with a mandatory overlap of joints.
- The lathing on the walls, ceiling and parapet is made of dry wood (treated with an antiseptic) timber and is exposed on the vertical and horizontal levels. Attaches directly to concrete using dowels and self-tapping screws. The beam can be 40×20 mm in size.
- The finishing is attached to the crate. Usually these are plastic panels 25 cm wide or moisture-resistant drywall. In the case of using drywall, additional finishing work is required, namely: priming, putty, corner treatment, leveling, wallpapering or painting.
- The loggia can be equipped with electric heaters, lighting, etc. Electrical wiring is installed before the interior decoration.
Using PENOPLEX boards® COMFORT 50 mm thick, a loggia was insulated in the apartment of the famous actress Marina Dyuzheva. You can find out about what a cozy corner turned out from the loggia here.