Due to its properties and characteristics, porcelain stoneware can be used both indoors and outdoors. Including for finishing the facades of private and high-rise buildings. Our site of advice will find out what are the pros and cons of such a facade decoration for a private house, tell you how to choose porcelain stoneware.
Recall that in terms of composition, porcelain stoneware is much closer to ordinary ceramic tiles than to real granite. But in terms of strength, this material made of clay and quartz sand is similar to a natural “namesake” stone. Therefore, porcelain stoneware is perfect for facing facades..
Porcelain stoneware on the facade of the building has a number of advantages:
- Solid, expensive appearance. It is immediately clear that the owners have wealth and they did not save on finishing the house.
- Porcelain stoneware can be very different, which allows you to experiment with the exterior of the house, choose a suitable color, size of slabs, combine several shades on the facade.
- You can repair, replace individual parts. If one tile has been damaged, you do not need to change the entire facade..
- Porcelain stoneware copes well with precipitation and temperature changes.
- Off, making the building safer.
- Environmentally friendly.
- Increases the soundproofing characteristics of the facade. Especially if there is insulation under the porcelain stoneware.
- Durable, hard to damage.
- It is easy to clean the facade, no special cleaning agents are needed.
However, as the portal already wrote, porcelain stoneware has its drawbacks. Including in the case of use on the facade:
- Great weight. It is difficult to work with slabs of porcelain stoneware on the walls, especially in sizes from 60×60 centimeters and over 7 millimeters thick. It’s just physically difficult. In addition, a solid base is required for such a finish..
- Usually you have to hire professionals to cover the facade.
- Sometimes you come across defective porcelain stoneware, in a large batch, and for the facade you need just such, you have to reject the tiles.
- Porcelain stoneware serves for a long time, but it grows old ugly, does not acquire that noble touch of time, like natural stone.
- There will still be seams. And they need to be rubbed, protected from moisture penetration.
- Such facade cladding costs a lot, it is more expensive, for example, vinyl siding. Therefore, often only the basement of the house is faced with porcelain stoneware, and for the rest of the wall area, a more inexpensive material is chosen..
If you decide to buy porcelain stoneware to cover your facade, be guided by the following criteria:
- Colour. Milky, beige, cream tiles look fresh and cute. Dark shades will immediately distinguish the house against the background of neighbors and the surrounding landscape, make the building more solid and modern. The disadvantages of the cladding are least visible on gray, neutral porcelain stoneware. But on a dark or light facade, they will immediately be clearly visible.
- There should be no cracks, chips, defects around the edges.
- The size. The most popular for facades is 60×30 and 30×30 centimeters. Do not choose too large porcelain stoneware for cladding a modest cottage. And working with large slabs is more difficult..
- Class of porcelain stoneware. In general, they are focused on flooring, but for the facade it is also worth choosing a material of at least 3 strength classes, frost-resistant.
- Manufacturer. Verified, with a good reputation. For example, Italian Kerlite, Chinese Fiorano, Russian “Ural Granite” and Estima.
- Price. High-quality porcelain stoneware will not be cheap, on average the price varies from 600 to 1300 rubles per square meter.