- PVC membrane for roofing
- Application of PVC membrane
- Advantages of PVC membrane for roofing
- Disadvantages of PVC membrane for roofing
- Installation of PVC membrane
We would like to draw your attention to an overview of the qualities and prices of a new roofing material – a polyvinyl chloride membrane. We will tell you about the composition, principle of operation, advantages and disadvantages, and also give comparative prices. You will learn about the basic rules for membrane roofing and PVC sheet welding.
Polyvinyl chloride or PVC has been known in our country for a long time and has perfectly established itself as the basis of an irreplaceable floor covering – linoleum. Its practicality and durability attracted the consumer, and manufacturers continued to work with this material. The result is a whole series of PVC membranes for various purposes with a single set of basic properties..
This material can be called new for roofing work only in a certain context. In Europe it has been known and used since the 1960s, in Russia it has been known since the 1990s. For 20 years, PVC was rarely used for outdoor work due to the lack of technology and equipment. Perfectly adjusted production of traditional roofing materials – slate, roofing material – created insurmountable competition, despite its retrospectiveness.
With the development of market relations, manufacturers had the opportunity to purchase high-tech production lines, and new types of products were released – euroruberoid and PVC membranes. These two main competitors perform the same task, but have different properties, which we will discuss below..
PVC membrane for roofing
This material consists of three layers – base, reinforcing mesh and protection.
The basis– modified polyvinyl chloride with filler (chalk), adapted for outdoor use. In order to maintain the elasticity of the material at low temperatures, substances based on petroleum products are introduced into the PVC composition, which are related to those used in antifreeze – ethylene glycol or propylene glycol..
Reinforcing mesh– ordinary fiberglass impregnated with non-combustible synthetic resins. Cell 5×5 mm in the material of the plane and 1.5×1.5 for the design of abutments.
Outer layer(protection) – PVC with a compacted structure. Since the material melts under high temperature, the outer layer is slightly melted – this changes its crystal lattice. After cooling, the melted PVC is completely sealed and has a smooth glossy surface.
It should be noted that the temperature is used at all stages of the production of products from polyvinyl chloride – in particular, for the cohesion of all three layers together..
Application of PVC membrane
Roofing membranes are used in industrial and private construction to cover the planes of the roof and adjacent elements – walls, plinths, valleys, etc. Theoretically, it can be used on any type of roof, but due to the unassuming technical appearance of the outer layer, it is not suitable for decorating buildings. with claims of artistic value or design intent. About 85% of all applications of PVC membrane are flat roofs with a low slope and internal drainage. Such roofs are arranged on concrete floors of industrial and public buildings..
Another aspect of the material – tightness – is used by builders when constructing water tanks. Using a membrane, you can create a pool, the cost of which will be very cheap compared to any other type of bowl..
Application of PVC membrane, video
Also, PVC membrane can be used for waterproofing contact planes – foundations, piles, pillars, retaining walls. The vapor permeability of the membrane gives additional protection, removing moisture from the plane.
Advantages of PVC membrane for roofing
There is no ideal roofing material, but PVC has a number of indisputable qualities, which in many cases will be indispensable:
- Vapor permeability.
- Mechanical durability. A welded seam or solid area is extremely difficult to break or damage with an accidental object.
- Size constancy with ultra-thin layer. Usually, the thickness of the web is 1.2–1.5 mm, while it is not glued, welded or fixed with a “solid”. Point dowelling with hollow plastic “umbrellas” is enough. After welding the seams, a solid carpet is obtained, which retains its dimensions thanks to the glass mesh.
- Non-flammability, non-toxic.
- Relatively simple installation, respectively, higher labor productivity. A link of 3 people stacks up to 1000 sq. m of roof in one working day.
- Maintainability. Any defect can be corrected quickly and easily * – just apply a patch from the remnants of the material.
- Low specific weight, easy storage and delivery.
* If you have the required tool.
These advantages are associated with the use of the membrane as a roofing material. Its “spare” advantage is the possibility of using it as a vapor barrier when installing a roof with a crate (metal, slate, profile).
Disadvantages of PVC membrane for roofing
Of course, the membrane has its own “problems”, for the solution of which you need a skill and a tool:
- A solid solid base required.
- An intermediate (preparatory) layer is required. Usually used geotextiles.
- Technical appearance.
- Welding requires a professional hair dryer capable of maintaining a given temperature – overheating or underheating during soldering violates the properties of the “blanket”. This disadvantage is conditional, since in private construction, the acquisition of a professional tool is not included in the plans..
The list of disadvantages is relatively small, since the possibility of facing pitched roofs is not considered in principle. Usually, the membrane is laid simply on top of the existing material or on insulation (polystyrene foam).
Roofing material in comparison with a membrane has much more problems – it burns out, melts, is up to 5 times thicker and is extremely flammable. Its significant share speaks not only of transport costs, but also of the amount of raw materials used for its production. Laying roofing material is incomparably more complicated – the process requires bulky equipment or an open flame.
Installation of PVC membrane
For work, you will need a regular set of measuring and marking tools (tape measure, markers, square, etc.), rubber stitching rollers and one specific device – a professional construction hair dryer with a special attachment.
Question.Why choose a professional hairdryer for work? Can’t you get by with the usual cheap?
Answer.On a professional tool, it is possible to set a stable temperature (520 ° C for 1.5 mm and 460 ° C for 1.2 mm), which is necessary for optimal heating during vulcanization.
The test results of membrane brazing at different temperatures are shown in the video.
For the installation of large areas of the roof, a semi-automatic soldering machine is used, which is adjusted to different modes – the speed of movement is changed. The machine has sufficient weight and rollers for rolling the seam.
- Dust the surface thoroughly.
- Lay the preparatory layer – geotextile or thick technical non-woven fabric.
- Determine the direction of water flow and the optimal position of the stripes.
Attention! Make a joint of strips at the junction of sloped surfaces (groove).
- Spread the strips with an overlap of at least 100 mm and cut them in place.
- Solder the strips together into one “blanket”. Wipe with solvent before soldering.
- At critical places (internal and external corners, junctions, transitions), make additional linings from a special flexible membrane.
Name Manufacturer Thickness, mm Price 1 m2, at. e. Logicroof V-RP gray TECHNONICOL, Russia 1,2 4,3 Logicroof V-RP gray TECHNONICOL, Russia 1.5 5.3 PLASTFOIL F PENOPLEX, Russia 1,2 4.6 PLASTFOIL F PENOPLEX, Russia 1.5 5.8 RUVIMAT RUVITEX, Bulgaria 1,2 5.1 RUVIMAT RUVITEX, Bulgaria 1.5 6.0 ECOPLAST V-RP WAVIN Ekoplastik, Czech Republic 1,2 5.5 ECOPLAST V-RP WAVIN Ekoplastik, Czech Republic 1.5 6,3