- Advantages and disadvantages of a reed roof
- Harvesting reeds for the roof
- Features of the device of the roof from reeds
- Roof reed laying technology
- Installation of reed roofing in bundles
- Reed roof covering cost
The article is devoted to the roof made of reed. It details the advantages and disadvantages of this material. You will find out what technologies of laying and features of arranging a reed roof exist. We will tell you about its unique properties, announce the prices for reeds and the cost of work.
At some time, the reed roof was undeservedly forgotten, but thanks to the high degree of environmental friendliness, thermal protection, the ability to maintain a stable indoor microclimate and excellent sound insulation, today it has taken its rightful place among roofing materials.
It is interesting:our ancestors, along with reeds, used reeds for roofing, since these materials have similar properties.
Advantages and disadvantages of a reed roof
The indisputable advantages of a reed roof include:
- environmental friendliness of the material;
- high heat and sound insulation due to the tubular structure of the stems;
- this material is well ventilated and does not create condensation;
- reeds are not afraid of dampness, sudden changes in air temperature, it does not rot, it is resistant to fungi;
- original appearance;
- the service life can reach 60 years or more (subject to the installation technology);
- does not require insulation, cleaning, painting;
- does not accumulate static electricity.
- the presence of protruding ends, due to improper laying, attracts rodents and birds;
- low fire resistance.
The high packing density minimizes the risk of fire. The solution to this problem also includes the installation of chimneys at a high height..
In addition, fire-retardant treatment of reed building structures with special compounds (fire retardants) is carried out, minimizing the risk of ignition. In Western countries, the treatment of reed roofing with fire retardants is not practiced, since this significantly reduces the level of environmental friendliness..
Harvesting reeds for the roof
Reeds should be harvested in the autumn-winter period, when the plant stems have matured and acquired a golden brown color, and the root system is at rest.
It is harvested by hand or using combines. The cut stems of reeds are sorted, after which stems 1.5-2.2 m or more long are selected for the roof.
Sheaves of identical stems are tied with metal stainless wire, and it is in this form that the reeds are sold. In bales, there are from 20 to 50 “Euro-sheaves”. Firms also offer consumers slabs, rolls and reed mats.
Attention! Reed growing in the water area of coastal estuaries is significantly inferior to that grown in fresh water bodies (rivers, lakes, swampy meadows), since salt negatively affects the quality of reeds.
A reed suitable for roofing must meet a number of requirements:
- timing of procurement — must be freshly prepared;
- size – perfect, stem length 1.6–2 m;
- color – light;
- surface texture – no traces of burning, fungal attack, mold, does not contain organic residues.
Features of the device of the roof from reeds
- Sheaves with short stems are traditionally laid near the ridge or in small areas (awnings, protruding attic windows, gazebos).
- About 8 bundles of reeds are used for every meter of foundation.
- The recommended roof slope using reeds should be at least 30 degrees.
- The lathing for a reed roof is equipped with bars with a section of 40×60 or 50×50 mm with a step of 300 mm.
- The chimney pipe is brought out higher than usual.
- Coating thickness ranges from 25 to 40 cm.
- 1 sq. m of reed roof dry weighs about 40 kg.
Attention! Around a house with a reed roof, it is imperative to arrange a drainage layer along the perimeter of the roof with water drainage from the site, since it is impossible to drain water directly from the roof.
Advice:it is not recommended to arrange a reed roof under the crown of tall trees, this contributes to rotting and the development of fungus.
Roof reed laying technology
Today, when creating a reed roof, foreign laying technologies are used, domestic standards are under development..
The most common in the construction of private residential buildings in Russia is the so-called Dutch. Its peculiarity lies in the fastening of reed sheaves to a solid base, which is usually made of sheets of waterproof material (waterproof plywood, glued sheets of chipboard, fiberboard).
For comparison: our ancestors laid sheaves of reeds on a crate and fastened them with wire or hemp rope..
For the device of a reed roof, you can use such fastening methods as wire stitching, constrictions, etc..
For gazebos and awnings, it is permissible to use an open building structure as a base for a reed roof. The technology of laying the reed roof of residential buildings provides for the use of a structure with a closed base.
Installation of reed roofing in bundles
1. Before laying, fasteners (metal screws, etc.) are screwed into the base to fasten the wire capable of holding reed bundles.
2. Bunches of reeds are laid, starting from the bottom edge, with an overlap. Make sure that the reeds are laid tightly and evenly. The overhang of the roof is formed at a distance of 50 cm from the wall of the house.
Attention! When laying subsequent layers of reeds, it is necessary to move along the crate. Ladders and scaffolding can only be used when laying the first bottom layer.
3. A stainless steel wire or hemp rope is pulled through the bundles, which is closed with the next layer of reed cover. This rope can also serve as a decorative element..
4. When laying each row, it is necessary to use hooks that perform the task of temporarily attaching reed bundles, stitched with wire.
5. At the end of the work, it is necessary to clean and knock out the reeds, leveling it with a special spatula so that it fills the seams and bundles more tightly. Also align the bevels of the rows.
Advice:so that visible grooves do not form, since water will flow along them, during the movement towards the ridge it is necessary to gradually increase the indent.
6. Skate device. In order for the bundle to take the shape of a skate, it must be moistened and allowed to dry, giving shape. After placing the reeds on the ridge, it can be covered with copper or ceramic.
7. At the end of the installation, the reeds must be trimmed to give the roof the desired shape and bio- and fire-retardant processing..
How to make a reed roof, video
Reed roof covering cost
In European countries, reeds are in great demand, which forms a rather high cost of this material. 1 sq. m of this roof starts from 40 euros (from 3 cu per bundle).
The cost of reeds for roofing without work and related materials
Name Consumption. Number of beams per 1 m2 Application Price 1 m2/ y. e. ** Reed in bunches * (Russia) 8 bundles Roof of any area from 10.00 to 19.50 Reed in bunches (Denmark) 8 bundles Roof of any area from 40 to 100 Reed in bunches (Netherlands) 8 bundles Roof of any area from 40 to 100 Reed in rolls (Russia) – Small roofs: gazebos, awnings, baths; thermal insulation of floors and frame walls 2.51 Reed in slabs (Russia) – Small roofs: gazebos, awnings, baths; thermal insulation of floors and frame walls 2.83
* Bunches are formed based on the thickness of the stems from 0.3 to 0.7 cm.The circumference of the sheaf varies from 20 to 60 cm.
** Note: when calculating the cost of a running meter of a reed roof using various technologies, you should take into account the cost of related materials (lathing, boardwalk or OSB, vapor barrier, wire or rope). Approximately 20% will be added to the cost of the main material.
There are technologies that can significantly reduce the cost of reed roofing. For example, the use of reed mats instead of sheaves, which cover roofs with a small area on gazebos, awnings and baths.
Thanks to this form of release of natural material, it becomes much easier to mount the roof. Transportation and storage is also simplified.
Reed roofing these days is not only a tribute to fashionable traditions in the ethno style, but also high environmental friendliness, coupled with excellent noise and heat insulation characteristics..