First, let’s figure out the reasons why the tile can fall off, even if it was laid by professionals:
- House shrinkage. If you are in a hurry to make major repairs in a new building, shrinkage can cause deformation of the final finish, including cracks in the plaster and problems with tiles;
- The thickness of the tile adhesive is either too large or too small;
- Poor quality glue or mortar simply will not keep the tile on the surface, in this case, problems cannot be avoided;
- The tile was poorly coated with glue, there were voids. You can check if there is such a problem in advance – the tile, under which there is a void, will coil – just tap it lightly;
- Sudden changes in temperature, which can lead to a deterioration in the state of the adhesive, its destruction;
- Mechanical loads, shocks, too heavy cabinet, not properly suspended from a tiled wall;
- Water and dirt penetration under the tiles due to poorly sealed tile joints;
- Uneven, poorly prepared surface under the tiles.
For whatever reasons the tile falls off, it is urgent to fix it. First, buy a suitable glue, from a trusted manufacturer, of high quality and reliable. By the way, you can use liquid nails. Now we look at your tile – whether it remained intact. If yes – the problem is less, you just need to put it back in place. And if the tile is cracked?
If the damage is small, you can try to glue the cracked tiles so that the seam is minimal. The edges of the tiles should be cleaned. If you still have the same tile after repair, the problem is even easier to solve. You can also go to a hardware store to buy the same flooring, taking with you a piece of broken tiles for comparison..
If you can’t find the same tile, buy another of the same size. Play in contrast, let the new braid be bright, with a pattern. We are sure that guests will appreciate your creativity and the interior will not suffer.
The most difficult thing in the process of gluing the fallen off tiles will be cleaning the surface from the previous adhesive. This must be done! Otherwise, there is no guarantee that the tiles will not fall off again. And there is simply nowhere to apply a new layer of glue – the tile will protrude from the row.
Therefore, we take a chisel, a spatula, a hard brush and carefully remove the remnants of the old glue. On the surface, this must be done carefully so as not to damage the adjacent tiles..
Important! Check how the tiles, located next to the fallen one, hold. Tough, don’t they bite? Everything is good. Otherwise, it is advisable to remove them right away while you are repairing – they may fall off and the whole process will have to be repeated again.
After you have scrubbed off all the old grout from the wall and tiles, and cleaned the surfaces with sandpaper, you should treat the installation site with a primer to improve adhesion. Yes, do not forget to remove the remains of grout from the edges of the fallen off tiles. Then take your adhesive, apply in a layer with a thickness corresponding to the previous one, so that the tile fits exactly into place, does not protrude or fall through.
After carefully insert the tile into place, level it, you can use a mallet to squeeze out the excess adhesive. The surface is wiped off with a rag or sponge, and after drying, the tile joints are trowelled. In general, it is easier to put new tiles in place of those that have fallen off or put them back in place than laying the flooring “from scratch” on the floor or wall.