Warm, like ordinary plasters, are sold as dry mixes, which are diluted with water in the proportion indicated by the manufacturer. The main difference between warm plasters is the absence of sand in the composition. Instead, there is a material that has improved thermal insulation properties..
Instead of sand, warm plasters may include:
- materials of volcanic origin – perlite or vermiculite;
- expanded clay chips;
- crumb and pumice powder;
- foam glass;
- cork oak chips. We have written in detail about this option for covering the facade, so we will not stop any more;
- expanded polystyrene grains.
Important! Warm plaster with sawdust can only be used for interior work. The rest of the compositions can be universal, but experts advise choosing mixtures for external work for the facade, as they are more resistant to weathering.
Otherwise, the composition of all warm plasters is the same – the well-known Portland cement acts as a binding element, there are also various modifiers that enhance plasticity and air permeability. Usually there are also water repellents in the composition. Sometimes reinforcing fibers are added for greater strength..
Depending on the main component, the cost of warm plaster also changes. For example, 7 kg of a mixture based on perlite will cost about 100-200 rubles. An 18-kilogram package of a mixture with foam glass costs about 600 rubles. The brand of the manufacturer also affects the cost. The main brands of warm plaster widespread in our country: Knauf, Terralit, Teplover, VarmMix.
The advantages of using warm plaster include:
- When applying, you do not need to pre-align the walls;
- The application process itself is generally no different from working with ordinary gypsum plasters, if desired, a non-professional can handle;
- Warm plasters have a high adhesion rate, they adhere well to various materials for building walls, but for greater strength, you can use a reinforcing mesh. In addition, special plastering compounds are produced for aerated concrete blocks;
- Warm plaster “breathes”, that is, it allows air to pass through, and this avoids dampness;
- On top of the plaster layer, you can use facade paint, preferably acrylic;
- Plaster retains its thermal insulation properties longer than mineral wool, and unlike EPS, it is an environmentally friendly material that meets all sanitary standards. The exception is mixtures, which include expanded polystyrene grains..
If we compare warm plaster with ordinary plaster, the advantages are quite noticeable. The warm version is four times lighter (in dry form), because it does not contain dense sand, but porous materials. In addition, in terms of energy saving and thermal insulation, a 2.5 mm layer of warm plaster can replace a layer of the usual 10 mm thickness..
In comparison with mineral wool and foam, warm plaster also has advantages. For example, rodents will definitely not start in it, there is no need for an additional layer of vapor barrier, it can be used on uneven surfaces, joints, various elements of facade decor.
However, warm plaster has its drawbacks. Firstly, the consumption of the mixture is quite high – about 8–12 kg for a layer with a thickness of two centimeters per square meter. It is advisable to make two such layers in order to achieve the optimal level of thermal insulation. As a result, the price of surface finishing turns out to be quite high, there is no need to talk about savings.
In addition, you cannot immediately apply a thick layer of plaster, you will have to do everything in at least two stages. The coating itself turns out to be heavier than in the case of using mineral wool and foam, which, which is very important, have a lower thermal conductivity coefficient, that is, they retain heat better.
Let us state that warm plaster has every reason to be considered a good choice for exterior decoration and house insulation. Especially we are talking about the most modern and environmentally friendly mixtures based on perlite and vermiculite. Yes, the price in the end will be no lower than that of other options, but the house turns out to be beautiful, and the coating itself is durable and allows you to keep warm.