Often little time is given to the choice of the door to the bathhouse or sauna. The owners are more concerned with making beautiful and comfortable shelves, building or buying the right stove, which becomes the heart of the entire steam room. It is clear that the stove and shelves are very important, but without a reliable and safe door, the bathhouse and sauna simply cannot be used!
The door in such rooms is really in extreme conditions: it is exposed to high humidity and temperature. But even this is not the most extreme – differences affect the door worse. When a free-standing bath is not used, it cools down very noticeably. In addition, the level of humidity and temperature inside and outside the steam room is also always very different..
Only two materials can withstand such difficult operating conditions – glass and wood. It is from them that the doors to the sauna, bath or steam room are made. Immediately, we note that wood is much more popular, because such doors correspond to the traditional interior of the bath, fit perfectly into it, look great and serve for a long time. In addition, wood doors can be made with your own hands, and you will definitely have to buy glass doors..
However, the glass doors to the steam room have many fans who are attracted by their modern appearance and good operational properties. It is clear that we are talking about resistant, tempered glass that can withstand temperatures up to +800 ° C. You can choose a combined option – wooden doors with glass inserts, windows.
In any case, the following requirements are put forward for the doors to the bathhouse, sauna, steam room:
- sizes are smaller than standard. Recommended height and width – 1.5×0.555 m or 1.85×0.7 m, no more. This helps to maintain the high temperature inside the room, does not release steam;
- the canvas must be of high quality, without gaps and cracks (this applies to wooden doors);
- fire safety and ability to tolerate high humidity are important;
- the door to the steam room always opens outward – this is the most important safety requirement;
- if there is no separate ventilation in the steam room, it is advisable to raise the door five centimeters above the floor level in order to ensure the flow of fresh air;
- metal hinges on the door to the steam room should be hidden in order to secure the entrance.
On the front door to the dressing room, metal parts are allowed, including handles and massive hinges, as in the photo. In this case, the door does not heat up, so there is no risk of getting burned on the metal. But on the door to the steam room, the handles should be exclusively wooden, even if the canvas itself is glass.
As for the choice of wood for the door to a sauna, bathhouse, steam room, the most often used today are cheap but short-lived pine, linden, alder, aspen, cedar, abash. Oak is a good option, but the door will be heavy and expensive.