In this article, we will talk about ventilation grilles that are installed on the door. Our tips site will tell you when you need them and when you just need them. We will find out what kind of ventilation grilles for doors are, which option will be optimal and how to install them yourself.
Ventilation helps to provide a comfortable microclimate in the room. But in some cases, just an open window is not enough. And there may be no window at all. In this case, ventilation grilles for doors come to the rescue. Most often they are installed in the doors leading to the kitchen, bathroom and toilet..
Yes, you can refuse ventilation grilles. Simply install the door in such a way that there is a wide enough gap for ventilation between the door leaf and the floor covering. However, the grilles look much more aesthetically pleasing than the gap between the door and the floor. In addition, the grille provides better air circulation..
Important! It is imperative to install a ventilation grill on the door leading to the furnace! Such premises are subject to strict requirements, which the portal has already written about. Including boiler room ventilation.
In addition, a gap at the bottom or a ventilation grill is needed for a door that is installed in a steam room..
Ventilation grilles for doors are always cross-flow. They can be made from the following materials:
- Plastic. The lowest cost and wide range of models make them very popular. In the case of installation on interior doors with plastic grilles, problems usually arise, they serve for a long time. But they don’t look very attractive;
- Wood. A logical choice if the door is also wooden. Such grilles look very nice, durable and do not spoil the appearance of the door. However, they are much more expensive than plastic ones and require special care, like other wooden products;
- Aluminum. A good choice. The grilles are lightweight, durable and long-lasting. But not everyone likes their external, too industrial look.
Structurally, all door ventilation grilles consist of two parts. On the inner frame there are slats that let air through. The outer frame serves as a decorative function and is mounted on the back of the door, masking the overflow opening.
The shape of the ventilation door grilles can be:
- Rectangular. The most popular option. Such a lattice is always one, occupies the lower part of the door leaf. Width and length may vary. By the way, such rectangular grilles can be mounted in a window sill if it blocks the flow of warm air from the radiator. Structurally, they are no different from the door ones;
- Round. Small, so they are installed in pairs or three or four to provide effective ventilation. They look aesthetically pleasing, making them a popular choice. Round grilles are often placed in cabinet doors to ventilate clothes, get rid of the smell of dampness in storage areas;
- Square. Can be large enough to accommodate one ventilation hole. Otherwise, they are also used in pairs.
The dimensions of the ventilation grilles, of course, depend on the dimensions of the door leaf. Most often it is from 70 to 80 centimeters wide. That is, the width of the ventilation duct in the case of a rectangular grille will not exceed 60 centimeters. The thickness is designed for a door leaf from 25 to 50 millimeters, and the height most often does not exceed 25 centimeters. Diameter of round ventilation grilles varies from 5 to 20 centimeters.
Of course, you can find a door with a built-in ventilation grill. These are offered by many manufacturers who have special door models for boiler rooms, steam rooms and bathrooms. However, owners often decide to install ventilation after the door has been purchased and installed. In this case, you need to purchase a ventilation grill of the required size separately. And install it.
You will need a ruler, pencil, jigsaw, screwdriver, screws or glue.
With a ruler and pencil, markings are made on the door. The hole should be 1–2 millimeters larger than the grating itself! Four holes are drilled in the corners of the marking, and then you need to cut out this entire piece of canvas. A grating is inserted into the hole and fastened with self-tapping screws or special glue.