In this article, we’ll talk about what crimping is, where it is applied, in which cases it is simply necessary. We will tell you what equipment is required for crimping, we will figure out whether you need to be a specialist to perform this important process on your own and what stages it includes.
Pressure testing is the testing of a closed system using excess pressure. Hydraulic or air testing, which is performed at pressures higher than normal operating pressure, is essential to ensure the system can handle these extreme conditions..
When and where is the pressure test carried out:
- After finishing the installation of the heating system. The operation of boilers, heat exchangers, circulation pump and other equipment is checked;
- After laying local and main pipelines;
- After installation of hot and cold water supply systems;
- After creating a gas supply system for houses.
In addition, pressure testing is necessary to check the condition of gas cylinders and other equipment..
The need for pressure testing appears not only after the installation of engineering systems. There are other situations:
- Emergency replacement of the heating pipe or radiator;
- Installation of a heat meter;
- Gas pipe replacement or repair;
- Maintenance of communications;
- Preparing the house for the heating season;
- Repair or replacement of pipes of the water supply system;
- Replacement or revision of valves;
- Cleaning boilers or filters.
As you can see, almost any intervention in water supply, heating or gas supply systems implies that after that, pressure testing will be carried out, as a final, verification stage.
This process allows you to identify all the weaknesses. If the system works normally at elevated pressure, then it will accurately withstand normal performance. In the process of pressure testing, it is possible to identify places of leakage of pipe connections, which simply cannot be found by eye.
Pressure testing is carried out as follows:
- To begin with, the entire water supply or heating system is filled with liquid. Water is most commonly used. An ordinary household pump or a connection to a stationary water supply is used, since filling the system with a pressure operator will take a lot of time, and if it is manual, then it will take effort;
Important! Many experts insist that it is necessary to carry out a hydraulic test, using a liquid – water or oil. It is easier to supply compressed air to the system, however, if weak points are identified, the use of pneumatics can threaten with destruction and even an explosion. The liquid is incompressible, so the crimping process is not associated with such risks. However, we admit that other experts believe that air pressure testing is convenient and the process can be performed independently.
- When the heating or water supply system is filled with liquid, the most necessary device is connected – a pressure pump, manual or electric. This device will create a pressure in the system that will be one and a half to two times higher than the operating pressure;
Important! Do not apply too high pressure. You can destroy anything if you overdo it. Therefore, the pressure is twice normal, that is, the pressure under which the communications will work in the future is quite enough to check.
- After the pressure reaches the desired value, the pressure operator turns off, and the master monitors the pressure gauge needle. If the pressure does not drop, it is kept at the pressure indicator, the system is recognized as sealed, reliable, suitable for further use. If the pressure starts to drop after turning off the pressure operator, it means there is a leak somewhere, a weak point that should be identified and eliminated.
Important! Pressure testing of gas supply systems is carried out only by specialists at the request of the owner of a private house or as part of a routine inspection. Checking gas pipes is associated with disconnecting from the main line, shutting off the high pressure line tap, installing plugs, removing all gas from the system. This requires special equipment and compliance with all safety rules, since pressure testing in this case is carried out with compressed air.
To carry out pressure testing of heating or water supply systems, a pressure operator, a pressure pump is required. He can be:
- Manual. Pumping high pressure into the system in this case will require physical effort, you will have to work with a lever, and the master himself must monitor the indicators, who should not overdo it;
- Electric. Such crimping machines usually have a mechanical pressure limiter, which allows you not to fear exceeding the required value. It is more convenient to work with electric crimpers, but a power source is required.
For crimping the systems of a private house or one apartment, a manual crimper is enough, which costs about 5 thousand rubles. Electric pressure operators are more powerful, their cost reaches 40, 50, 100 thousand rubles. For independent testing of heating or water supply at home, it is advisable to rent a manual pressure tester – the price of the service will be about 300 rubles per day.