If it becomes necessary to use powerful electrical tools and devices where there is no household outlet nearby, a special power extension cord is required. Our tips site will tell you what features this useful device has, what extension cords are, how to choose them correctly.
Like conventional extension cords, power extension cords are a cable with a plug and socket. However, there are three important differences:
- Power. These extension cords allow you to connect devices up to 3.5 kW.
- The cable is reliably protected from outdoor conditions, less risk of electric shock.
- Length. Such extension cords are not intended for apartments, but for construction sites and household plots – the cable can be stretched up to 50 meters.
Important! Most often, power cables are used where powerful equipment needs to be used outdoors. For example, a welding machine and a concrete mixer, the portal wrote about the rules for working with it in detail. In addition, the power cable can become an intermediate node, allowing you to connect other electric carriers.
Depending on the tasks to be solved, all power extension cords are divided into the following types:
- PVA. Extension cords with this brand of cable can operate in a temperature range of -20 ° C to +40 ° C. In more severe frosts, the cable loses its flexibility. The service life declared by manufacturers with frequent use is over 6 years.
- PRS. The service life of such cables is similar. But they are able to withstand extreme frosts down to -40 ° C.
- KG. Serves up to 4 years. Designed for use in extreme heat, in field conditions under the sun, as they can withstand temperatures up to +50 ° C.
- CGN. They are also able to work at temperatures up to +50 ° C, but they are afraid of direct sunlight. Cables with such markings are reliably protected from chemicals and sparks.
When choosing a power extension cord for your construction site or just a home workshop, you should pay attention to the following characteristics:
- Length of cable. It is better to choose the footage with a margin, depending on where the extension cord will be used. The average length is 30 meters, but there are cables up to 50 meters.
- Coil availability. Since the cable is long, it can get tangled in a coil. It is more convenient to use an extension cord with a reel, unwinding it to the desired length. It is very desirable to choose a cable on a metal coil, they are stronger and more reliable than plastic ones. Make sure the cable unwinds easily, effortlessly.
- Sockets. You need to pay attention not only to their number, because you may have to connect several instruments and devices, but also to the type of sockets – open or closed.
- Cable brand. It all depends on the conditions in which you are going to use the extension cord, whether the construction will take place in winter or under the hot summer sun.
- Cable section. For ordinary household equipment, a section of 0.75 millimeters will be sufficient. But such extension cords are designed for a power of no more than 2.2 kW. For powerful devices, a cable with a cross section of 2.5 millimeters is required, it is capable of withstanding loads of 3.5 kW.
- The presence of additional options – a switch on the extension cord itself and a fuse that will protect the device from voltage surges.
Among the best models of power extension cords, experts distinguish Glanzen EB-50-077 and Glanzen ER-40-001 00012325, LUX K4-E-50 and LUX YC1-E-10 (Y-161), Power Cube PC-E1-B-20 … The price of the simplest power extension cord for 1 outlet without a coil is on average 500 rubles. The cost of powerful extension cords on a coil with four outlets can exceed 6 thousand rubles. For home needs, experts advise choosing power extension cords of the middle price category – about 2-3 thousand rubles.