Let’s talk about such an important point in the arrangement of any house or apartment, as the placement and selection of the size of heating radiators. Our site sovetov.ru is ready to give you the basic principles and rules that will allow you to make the work of radiators as efficient as possible, and your home – warm and comfortable.
If we are talking about an apartment, then the issue with the placement of radiators is decided not even by the developer, but by a specialist who calculates the required thermal power of each living space. In the overwhelming majority of cases, if the builders did not make mistakes, the radiators are located just under the windows. And this is the most correct option! This principle of placing heating batteries must also be guided in a private house..
Why? Just remember the school physics curriculum. Cold air is heavier and goes down, warm air is easier, therefore it goes up. And the coldest place on the wall is the window. Even if three-chamber double-glazed windows are installed. All the same, at the windows, the resistance to heat transfer will be about 0.6-0.7 m2 deg / W, and near the wall – 0.3-3.5 m2 deg / W It turns out that the window is at least twice as cold as the wall..
If there is no radiator under the window, cold air calmly sinks to the floor. Well, it’s not scary, it will heat up, you say. Yes, over time. But if there is a bed, a sofa, a dining table not far from the window, and a child’s play area is already a problem.
The heating battery under the window does not allow the cold air to sink, it heats up quickly and goes up, as expected. In addition, thanks to this arrangement of radiators, the windows will not leak, “cry”.
This main principle of the arrangement of radiators must also be adhered to in the case of French windows, about which the portal Our site wrote in detail. In this case, the glazing area is much larger, respectively, the cold from the window will be felt stronger. If just a radiator with a floor wiring diagram in front of a French window seems like an inappropriate detail, well – use water heating convectors recessed into the floor. They will definitely not interfere, and heating the air from the window, a thermal curtain will provide.
Of course, the radiator can be installed elsewhere in the room. For example, against a side wall. But in this case, it must complement the heating battery under the window. In particular, if an apartment is in a corner or a living room of a house has two outer walls, an additional radiator in this coldest corner will not hurt.
When placing heating radiators, you must adhere to a few more principles:
- The windowsill should not block the hot air flow from the battery. If it is too wide, it is necessary to equip a gap, ventilation in the windowsill, so as not to interfere with the air from the window to warm up;
- If it is decided to install a decorative screen on a radiator, it must also have an optimal number of ventilation gaps;
- If the loggia is attached to the apartment, then it is impossible to place the radiator under the window if the entire block with the window sill is dismantled. In this case, the battery can be moved to an adjacent wall, and electric convectors can be installed on the loggia for heating. It is impossible to transfer central heating radiators to the loggia!
- If you decide to move a sink or a kitchen countertop under the window, in no case completely close the radiator. Leave a ventilation gap that can always be beautifully decorated;
- Warm curtains are nice and cozy, but you should not close the radiators tightly with them. Open the curtains at least during the daytime, raise them so as not to interfere with air circulation.
Now let’s talk about the size of the radiator. Ideally, it should completely cover the window opening, that is, it should be almost equal to the size of the window sill. Or occupy most of the window to provide high-quality heating – only 20-30 cm less than the length of the window sill.
In addition, there is a rule – for 10 “squares” of the area of the room there should be 1 kW of heat. The increased power of the radiator is needed if the windows of the room face north, the battery is located in a niche, hidden by a screen, there are two, three or more windows in the room. It is better to slightly overestimate the required power, install a longer radiator than a short one under a wide window.
Let us state that it is not in vain that it is customary to install radiators under windows; there are objective reasons for this. In addition, no matter how much you want to hide the heating battery, it is better not to force it with furniture, not to curtain it tightly and not hide it behind a screen with small gaps. Provide free air circulation around the window, choose a radiator of the optimal size and shape to keep your rooms warm and cozy.