There are plenty of noise sources in city apartments – cars on the street, children in the yard, neighbors … And a sewer riser that regularly notifies you that someone has drained the toilet from above. How to reduce noise from the sewer riser, soundproof it? Let’s figure it out.
Remarkably, older cast iron pipes were less noise sources. And as soon as the owners changed them to plastic ones, they immediately felt the difference. The reason for this phenomenon is that cast iron pipes are thicker, heavier, the metal alloy consists of particles that absorb the main flow of vibration. In addition, a deposit formed inside the cast-iron pipe, which became an additional sound-insulating layer..
There are several reasons for noise in sewer pipes:
- The liquid moves unevenly, each drain literally becomes a volley, causing a characteristic sound;
- Impact noise occurs when the liquid hits the pipe walls, changing the direction of movement at the bends;
- The pipe vibrates due to the moving fluid, part of the vibration is transmitted to the walls, the entire structure of the house. Such structural noise is very unpleasant..
However, there are only two main reasons – thin, light, resilient, vibrating plastic pipes, as well as improper installation of the riser.
Now let’s see what can be done to reduce the noise level from the side of the sewer riser:
- Select plastic pipes with thicker walls. The option, in general, is not bad. But problems may arise during their docking with an external sewage system or a riser installed at neighbors. You will have to use docking elements, and the more joints, the higher the risk of leakage;
- Leave part of the old cast iron pipe in the overlap area. Cast iron gaps between pieces of plastic pipes will change the character of the sound, it will become less loud and annoying. The disadvantage of the method is the same as in the previous case – there are many joints. In addition, the noise, albeit weaker, will remain;
- During installation, use special noise-absorbing clamps or put a rubber gasket under the usual clamps. This will prevent vibration from passing from the pipe to the wall structures;
- For the same purpose, sealing gaskets and sleeves are used, which are located in the place where the overlap passes. Usually a metal cylinder is used, which is fixed in the ceiling with cement. Between the walls of such a sleeve and the riser, an insulation should be placed, which also will not allow vibration to pass to the building structure. Just don’t rely on polyurethane foam! It has very low soundproofing properties; mounting foam will not help to make the sewage system noiseless, although the riser in the ceiling will, of course, fix it;
- Having installed the sewer pipe, it is advisable to wrap it with soundproof materials, which can be sold in the form of finished cylinders of various sizes. Such pipe nozzles are called shells, and are often used for the purpose of insulating, for example, a chimney. In addition, sound insulation can be sold in rolls, in the form of mats, tapes, plates. It is most convenient to use roll sound insulation, foamed polyethylene, fiberglass for pipes. The soundproofing material is fixed to the pipe with clamps, tape;
Important! Just a drywall box, in which the sewer riser is usually hidden, will not give a significant effect. There will still be noise. Therefore, inside the pipe box, you also need to soundproof.
- Experts call a good sewage system a system in which there are a minimum of corners and turns. Try to organize the sewage system in the bathroom and toilet in such a way that the turns are as smooth as possible, with a cleaning-revision nearby;
- Use special silent pipes. They consist of three layers – external and internal wear-resistant, and between them a layer of material responsible for sound insulation properties. Manufacturers offer not only the multilayer pipes themselves, but also optimized fittings, noise-absorbing clamps, that is, a complete set for creating a silent sewage system. A good option, the only negative is the price. Multilayer pipes will cost two to three times more than conventional plastic pipes. Among the popular manufacturers of silent pipes for sewerage and water supply are Rehau, Ostendorf skolan, Waving, domestic “Polytek”.