Gasification of a private house is an expensive and rather difficult task. It is necessary not only to stretch pipes from the gas main, but also to obtain permission from the gas service for this. And an important role in this is played by a properly organized furnace. Our tips site will tell you how it should be.
- Why exactly a furnace? The name “boiler room” is more common. Yes, we agree. But experts believe that stand-alone buildings designed for heating apartment buildings can be called boiler houses. But the furnace is a room in a private house, where all the equipment necessary for heating the building is located. The requirements for boiler rooms are stricter. In addition, there is such a thing as “heat generating”. This is a separate non-residential premises where the heat generator itself and the engineering equipment for it are located.
- What is the main document governing the norms and requirements for the arrangement of furnaces in private houses? This is SP 402.1325800.2018 “Residential buildings. Gas Consumption Systems Design Rules ”. This set of rules that relate to gas heating of homes was last revised on June 6, 2019..
- Is there always a need for a separate furnace if the house is heated with gas? Not. As the portal already wrote, in some cases the boiler can be installed even in the attic. Or in the kitchen. But it should only be a condensing gas boiler with a closed firebox! In addition, strict requirements are imposed on the size of the premises where such boilers are installed. In particular, the kitchen, where there are a four-burner gas stove and a boiler with a closed combustion chamber, must have a volume of at least 15 m3. In addition, there must be additional ventilation, in particular, the gap at the bottom of the door.
- Is it possible to equip a furnace in the basement or basement? Yes, the set of rules permits this. Moreover, experts are confident that placing the heat generator at the lowest point of the heating system will make it more efficient..
- What size should the furnace be? Volume 15 m3 and with a ceiling height of 2.5 meters. This requirement is relevant for rooms where a gas boiler with an open combustion chamber will be installed..
- Is it possible to install a gas boiler in the bathroom and in the bathroom? No, the rulebook forbids it.
- Should there be a window in the furnace? Yes. Moreover, the area of its glazing must be at least 0.03 square meters per 1 cubic meter of the room area. In the event of a gas explosion, the window must open outward under the action of the blast wave.
- What ventilation should be in the furnace? The dimensions of the supply and exhaust ducts should be made in such a way that the air flow is equal to the volume of the exhaust plus the air required for gas combustion. Natural ventilation is mandatory, and the hood should provide three times air exchange per hour.
- Where should the door in the furnace open to? Only outside, like the window.
- What are the requirements for the finishing materials of the furnace? They must be non-flammable. If the floor is wooden, it is insulated with materials with a fire resistance limit of at least 45 minutes. It is possible to install the insulation only under the boiler so that it protrudes 10 centimeters beyond the body. The boiler itself must be located 20 millimeters from the walls if they are non-combustible. And at 30 millimeters, if the walls are difficult to burn and there is additional insulation. It is also necessary to provide free access to the rest of the engineering equipment..
Fulfillment of these requirements in the design of a furnace-boiler room of a private house will allow owners to obtain permission from the gas service to connect to the main gas pipeline.