What is a vegetable garden in a bag? This is a container, a bag made of burlap, geotextile, polyethylene. The container must be strong enough to support the substantial weight of the soil. The bag is filled with suitable soil, with the addition of compost or peat. It is very easy to make such a “bed” from one roomy bag yourself.
The two photos above show special bed bags designed by the French company Bacsac. These bags made of high quality geotextiles are not cheap – a two-liter container can cost 10-15 euros. The main advantage is that French garden bags look much more attractive than ordinary plastic bags, they can become a decoration of the site and will definitely attract the attention of guests.
We have already written how you can grow potatoes in bags. Even ordinary black trash bags can be used as a container for soil and plants. However, experts warn against such an option – black bags on hot summer days will overheat too much, which can cause the death of plants. In addition, even with the water slots, polyethylene is not the best material, stones will have to be placed at the bottom of the bag to create drainage.
Summer residents can use ordinary bags of sugar or flour for planting plants, old bags, for example. Or buy special geotextile containers that are sold in garden centers. Usually, these bags already contain compost, as well as markings that allow you to conveniently and quickly make cuts for the plants..
Benefits of growing vegetables and other plants in bags:
- Packaging is available, inexpensive, and you can find a free option.
- The soil in the bag turns out to be fertile, you yourself add compost and other useful substances. This is a great option if your dacha has clay or sandy soil on which vegetables do not grow well..
- The bags can be carried around the site, this is not a stationary bed. Can be hidden in the shade, for example, if the day is very hot.
- Weeds will not grow under the bag with soil, there is no need for weeding. Even if weed seeds appear in the soil poured into the bag and germinate, it is very easy to pull them out by hand. And when the seedlings grow, there is simply no room for weeds in the bag..
- You can even grow a garden in a bag on the balcony, it does not take up much space. Or equip vertical beds by hanging bags on a fence.
Perhaps the only significant disadvantage of the vegetable garden in bags is more frequent watering. The soil in containers dries out faster, you will have to moisten it more often. In addition, many believe that there is more fuss with the beds in bags at the first stage, because you need to properly equip the drainage, fill them with soil and compost. But in general, no more effort will have to be made than during the spring arrangement of ordinary beds.
You can grow literally anything in bags: tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, eggplants, potatoes, zucchini, radishes, salads. The technology is simple and gets good reviews from summer residents who have already used this method.