If you have done all the priority work in the garden and vegetable garden in April, it means that you are well prepared for the onset of heat and now it is time to start further actions:
- In May, you can already please your loved ones with the first greens from your garden. Sorrel grows quickly, which is used in salads and green borscht, it’s time to cut it, wash it, cut it and prepare it for the winter, you can simply freeze it so as not to preserve it. Dill, parsley, early lettuce and onions planted on feathers on the first warm spring days are actively growing;
- In early May, in the southern regions of our country, they are actively sowing tomato seeds, planting ready-made seedlings of tomatoes, peppers, eggplants in open ground. In the middle lane, it is better to wait until the middle of the month. In any case, we advise you to follow the weather forecast and keep a film ready to cover the beds if necessary to protect against frost;
- In the second half of May, it is time to plant seedlings of late-ripening cabbage, as well as thin out the beds with densely sprouted carrots and beets. In the middle or at the end of the month, depending on weather conditions, seedlings of cucumbers and zucchini seeds are planted, which are better to germinate at home;
- It’s time to plant petunias, bells, forget-me-nots, Turkish carnations, night violets, marigolds, viola, pansies and other flowers on the flower beds. Tulips and daffodils are already actively blooming in the last month of spring, like other spring flowers;
- It’s time to take up the supports for climbing plants, because they begin to actively stretch upward;
- Drought in May is not uncommon, even if there was a lot of snow, in the middle lane it melted long ago, the earth dried up. It’s time to take up a hose, a watering can, or turn on drip irrigation to provide moisture to actively growing vegetables and flowers;
- Mulch the beds to retain moisture and prevent weeds from sprouting;
- At the beginning of May, aeration and scarification of the lawn should be carried out so that the grass begins to grow actively and looks fresh and well-groomed. You can feed the lawn and sow the grass;
- Legumes and melons are planted, mid-season and late varieties of potatoes;
- If it is decided to leave some parts of the garden to rest or set aside for late crops, the second planting in the summer, it is advisable to sow them with siderates in May.
Folk signs for May:
- May 8 is the day of Mark the key-keeper. It is customary to call rain, if it goes and lasts three days, then all the next three years will be fertile;
- a high rainbow in May – to clear weather, low – to bad weather;
- a lot of cobwebs fly – summer will be good and hot;
- if it started raining the next day after Nikola Veshny (May 22), then the summer will be rainy.
If you believe in the lunar calendar, remember that in May of this house the new moon will be on the 15th, and the full moon on the 29th. That is, from May 1 to May 14, the Moon will wane, and from May 16 to May 28, it will grow.