We have detailed how to create your own compost bin. The technology is generally simple, and the compost heap in the corner of the garden is even simpler. Simply dump all organic waste, including grass clippings and cooking leftovers, into one pile that is often not well defined. After a certain time, a ready-made organic fertilizer is obtained, and the need to remove most of the garbage disappears.
But if you want to make compost in a civilized, modern way, you should pay attention to ready-made plastic composters of factory production..
What is a plastic garden composter? This is a box with a volume of 200 liters, there are models for 1600 liters, so each summer resident can choose his own version, according to his needs. The composter is created in the form of a box, always with a lid designed to solve the problem with an unpleasant odor, which is inevitable in case of creating a compost heap or box, where organic waste begins to actively rot.
The plastic used to create the composter is of high quality, high strength, not afraid of temperature extremes and winds. That is, specially designed for outdoor conditions. Plastic composters come in a variety of shapes and sizes. Instead of the usual rectangular or square container, you can find taller and more compact cone-shaped models. Traditional colors – black and green.
The advantages of plastic garden composters include:
- Fertilizers are more crumbly and easier to use. This is facilitated by efficient air exchange thanks to ventilation holes, control over the level of humidity.
- The design is more sealed, unlike a homemade bin, and even more so a conventional compost heap. This makes the decomposition process faster..
- Frost-resistant plastic allows the use of a garden composter all year round, the temperature is maintained naturally – rotting waste gives off its heat. As an additional measure, the walls and bottom can be insulated.
- The plastic composter is easy to fill and take out the finished fertilizer, the design is well thought out.
- Plastic composters look aesthetically pleasing, do not disturb the general appearance of the site, the green color of many models allows them to literally merge with vegetation.
There is only one disadvantage of ready-made factory composters – a rather high price. Depending on the model and volume, the composter can cost from 4,000 to 20,000 rubles. There are no other drawbacks, but the price itself scares off many summer residents.
When choosing a plastic garden composter, you should pay attention to the following criteria:
- Volume. The 200 liter models are only suitable for food waste. If you want to compost grass clippings and cut branches, this is not enough. For a summer cottage with an area of 4 acres, where there is a lot of organic fertilizers, experts advise choosing composters with a volume of 800-1000 liters.
- Many manufacturers, complete with a composter, offer a supply of peat, which is poured over each new layer of organic waste. This is very convenient, so you should not neglect such offers.
- Top hatch dimensions – it should be convenient for you to load waste. You can also consider models in which the finished compost pours itself through the bottom hole. Models with side hatches available.
- Some models have a thermometer on the front. Ideally, the temperature inside the fertilizer box should be above +40 degrees.
- Shape and color are secondary details, but rather your aesthetic preferences..
When using a plastic garden composter, care must be taken not to overload it. If the outside temperature is too low, you can cover the container with a foil after loading fresh waste so that it begins to rot and generate heat..
Thrifty summer residents stock up on two composters, because the process of creating fertilizer from waste can take up to a year, you can use them in turn.