It is possible that the reason for such unpopularity of yellow raspberries was the peculiarities of old varieties. Previously, the berries of such raspberries, indeed, often crumbled even before ripening, remaining white. In addition, the yellow berries were more fragile and difficult to transport. However, breeders took into account all the shortcomings of the old varieties and now there is a rich selection, which differs in all the properties of red raspberries, and often even surpasses it.
The most popular varieties of yellow raspberries:
- Yellow giant. This is a medium-early promising variety, capable of producing up to eight kilograms of berries from one bush. Moreover, the berries will differ in solid size, often up to the length of a matchbox and weighing up to six grams. The bushes are tall, spreading, the plant is resistant to pests and diseases. The flesh of the Yellow Giant is dense, very aromatic. For the winter, the bush should be bent to the ground and covered.
- Amber. This is a mid-late variety that came to our country from the USA. You can collect up to three kilograms of berries from a bush, their size will not exceed four grams. Amber is translated as “amber”, the berries are of such a beautiful color, juicy and sweet. Bushes are upright, can rise to a height of 2.5 meters.
- Yellow dessert. An early maturing and winter-hardy variety, resistant to pests and diseases. The berries are small – up to two grams, but fragrant, sweet, very tasty. Up to two kilograms of harvest can be harvested from one bush.
- Sweet yellow. Mid-early variety, giving up to eight kilograms per bush, which reaches a height of 1.5 meters and is very spreading. The berries reach a weight of six grams, they practically do not crumble with timely harvesting. In the middle lane for the winter, this variety should be covered under snow..
- Runaway. A variety of high winter hardiness, no need to cover. Bushes are straight, medium height. The berries reach a weight of three grams, are distinguished by a golden apricot color, very tasty, with a delicate aroma.
- Morning dew. Polish variety – Porana Rosa. It has a very bright aroma, berries weighing up to 10 grams, not less than five, yield – up to three kilograms per bush. The shoots are powerful, the bushes are upright, up to 1.8 meters high. It can bear fruit until frost, and gives the first berries by mid-June.
- Rosyanitsa, she Brusvyana yellowor Yaroslavna. Mid-season remontant variety. The berries are very large, up to 12 grams, the yield is about four kilograms from a bush up to 1.7 meters high. The disadvantage of this variety can be called the average transportability, in addition, it is suitable only for the southern regions of our country, where you can collect two crops per season.
- Orange wonder. Repaired variety, but one-time fruiting is recommended. Unpretentious, not afraid of the sun and frost, diseases and pests. The berries are elongated, up to six grams of weight, easy to transport. In autumn, you can collect up to 2.5 kilograms of bright orange berries from a bush that needs a garter.
We emphasize right away that there are no special differences in caring for yellow raspberries, but we described in detail how to care for its red “relative”. But there are some peculiarities of yellow raspberries that you should know about..
Firstly, yellow raspberries contain less acid than red ones, so they taste much sweeter..
Secondly, yellow raspberries are much less likely to cause allergies. It is they who are advised to eat for pregnant women and young children in order to exclude the manifestation of allergic reactions possible to common raspberries. The reason for this feature was the smaller amount of dyes in the berries..
Thirdly, the content of folic acid is increased in yellow raspberries, which helps to strengthen the immune system, cleanse the blood, and support new cells.
Fourthly, from yellow berries you can get very aromatic and beautiful jam, jam, make marmalade, compote, marshmallow.
We hope we have convinced you that the existing variety of varieties of yellow raspberries, their unpretentiousness and other useful qualities allow this berry to take an honorable place in your garden. Experiment, because growing yellow raspberries is no more difficult than usual!