Can’t imagine a traditional sauna without a wood-burning stove? We understand, but you can’t be so categorical! Now more and more bath owners are choosing electric ovens. Our advice site will figure out what the pros and cons of this option, how to make the right choice of an electric oven.
Electric sauna stoves have the following advantages:
- You do not need to think about where to make a chimney, how to ensure normal draft. If you dream of a sauna in a city apartment, this is the only suitable option.
- It is possible to automatically adjust the temperature, select the appropriate mode, adjust the water and steam supply. Many electric ovens produce steam themselves, you don’t have to do anything at all.
- The electric oven can be placed anywhere in the steam room, no special foundation is needed – they are much lighter, for example, brick or stone-faced. The main thing is that the outlet is nearby, but otherwise the stove can even be hung on the wall.
- The level of fire safety increases.
- The steam room warms up quickly enough.
- The portal gave you examples of how a stove might look in the interior of a bath. Electric ones also look advantageous, albeit without flame lights behind a glass door, but attractive and modern.
Electric ovens also have disadvantages:
- Electricity will cost you two to three times more than firewood, which you can prepare yourself.
- You need a separate powerful electrical wiring, if the bath has already been built, you will have to be puzzled by its implementation. In addition, if the model consumes from 9 kW, you need a voltage of 380 V. And three-phase current is not available in all houses. We’ll have to apply to Energonadzor for a special permit to increase the voltage. It’s time and money.
- The authenticity of a real Russian bath is lost with the crackling of wood. However, this disadvantage is indicated only by supporters of the traditional steam room..
All electric ovens work according to the same principle – they have stainless steel heating elements, which are responsible for heating the room. Sometimes heating elements are replaced with tapes, which are more economical, but suitable only for those who take a short steam bath and rarely. There are combinations – tape and heating elements in one oven. When choosing an electric oven for a bath, pay attention to the following important points:
- Power. For a steam room of up to 6 square meters, 4.5 kW will be enough, but for a room with an area of 20 “squares” you need a stove with a power of up to 18 kW.
- The capacity of stones – also depends on the area of your steam room, for a small room you don’t need much – a bucket is the maximum.
- The ability to get steam. Some models have a small tank, from which water will flow in portions onto the stones, turning into steam. But often you have to buy an additional steam generator.
- Models with a lattice top, where stones are placed, are preferable – they are more spacious and excess water, which you decide to splash generously, will flow out.
- Case quality, metal thickness. The thicker it is, the longer the oven will keep warm after it is turned off..
- Availability of different operating modes, process automation.
- Remote control. Very comfortably. It is important that the remote control is able to withstand high temperatures and humidity, otherwise it will have to be left outside the steam room..
If you do not understand anything about electrics at all, it is better to entrust the installation of an electric oven to a professional. A separate cable to the switchboard is a must, we repeat! Powerful electric ovens must be located at a distance of at least 30 millimeters from the wall and 60 centimeters from the ceiling. If the oven is wall-mounted, you will need hooks and a frame that are attached to the beams or supporting planks of the steam room.
Important! Metal electric furnaces, you can burn yourself on the body! Therefore, be sure to put at least a decorative fence in front of the stove. Or invest in lining the electric heater with natural or artificial stone and wood. It is beautiful and protects from burns.
We have written in detail on how to choose stones for a sauna stove. We strongly recommend changing them once a year, because the stones are gradually destroyed. And dust and stone chips can damage the heating elements. In addition, if you have a steam generator, and the water in your area is hard, filters to protect the heating elements from plaque will not interfere..
The most popular in our country are electric stoves for baths and saunas from the Finnish manufacturer Harvia, the Taiwanese brand Sawo, also Finnish IKI, Italian EcoFlame, Swedish Tylo, Teplodar. The cost will be very different, depending on the power of the model, the material of the case, the capacity of the heater and the brand’s popularity. On the network you can find electric ovens for a bath at a price of 5 to 150 thousand rubles.