Basically, construction of country houses begins in the summer. Poor owners, suffocating from stuffiness, standing for hours in traffic jams in order to purchase an order of magnitude more expensive (in summer prices for building materials are usually overstated) building materials, their abandoned wives sweat with children in the city or live in a trailer, making sure that the hired workers do not drag materials.
Wealthy citizens will conclude a contract, which is called “turnkey”, while overpaying at least twice. But on the other hand, upon arrival from Turkey or Cyprus, in the fall, not believing their happiness, they carefully and thoroughly examine their new possessions, in which such cracks and cracks are gaping that one can hide the very “key” in them.
There is nothing you can do about it, because construction is not an easy task. However, let’s forget about stereotypes and look at this problem without prejudice. After driving through any large city, focus on the areas of new buildings. And you will be aware that construction does not stop in winter, and workers are not looking for a new job this season. At the same time, you need to understand that multi-storey buildings are being built of brick or concrete.
So what’s stopping you from building a wooden house in winter? Frost? But in the cold it is more fun to work, and the smoke breaks do not drag on. You just need to get a warm trailer, which, upon completion of the construction, will miraculously turn into a bathhouse or summer kitchen. Or you can sell it to a neighbor.
Construction in the winter has many advantages:
1. In winter, building materials are several times cheaper, since demand falls at this time of the year, you can save a lot.
And if you manage to buy wood that was felled and processed at the beginning of winter (it is quite possible if you buy from “wheels”), then you can consider yourself lucky.
Because from time immemorial in Russia logging took place in winter, before Christmas, when there is a small amount of sap in the tree, and the snowdrifts are not yet so large as to somehow interfere with the export of wood from the forest. Building materials from such wood dry faster and more evenly, as a result, there are fewer cracks and shrinkage.
2. Even at this time of the year, many construction companies provide significant discounts.
3. In winter, it is easier to find a standing crew of workers, who will take less money for their work.
And having learned about the warm trailer, they will not be picky.
4. Usually there are no traffic jams on suburban roads in winter, so that you can come to the construction site at any convenient time.
Although construction in winter has negative aspects:
1. The trailer needs to be heated. Therefore, even in the summer it is necessary to make a small brick oven, the “stove” will not work here. With a “potbelly stove” it may be comfortable for the watchman, but not for the team of builders. At the same time, it is necessary to write down with firewood or other fuel for the stove..
If electricity is supplied to the site, then you should get good electrical wiring and heating elements so that the builders do not tinker with you, fearing to burn alive.
In addition, they need to eat, so you need to put a gas stove and a supply of gas cylinders.
2. Foundation problems. It is better to do it in the fall, when the summer season has come to an end, and the cold has not yet come.
Building a foundation is a laborious process, but very fast, especially if it is possible to fill it with a special machine, which contains ready-made factory concrete. If you have not worried about pouring the foundation in advance, then there is nothing wrong with that..
Nowadays, there are cement additives and the so-called “winter concretes” that will allow you to build a foundation in winter. Although such works are more expensive than, for example, in the summer. But these costs will be more than compensated by the money saved on building materials and builders. In addition, there are other foundation structures, for example, columnar ones, during the construction of which there is no need at all to fill in anything.
When all the problems are over, and it’s already spring in the yard, you can start decorating your house.