A terrace is understood as a platform raised above the ground, which serves as a kind of intermediate option between the living room and the site. Together with the site Our site, let’s figure out what exactly terraces can be, so that you choose the most suitable option for yourself.
- Closed terrace. In our country, they are very often called verandas when it comes to an extension to the house. It is a complete room with a roof and walls on all sides. The advantages are obvious – you can use such a closed terrace in almost any weather, even in winter, if you install heaters. But the feeling of relaxation in the fresh air is lost;
- Glazed terrace. Compromise. Guests and hosts are closed from bad weather and annoying insects, but the view of the surrounding area is not hidden. The portal wrote in detail about how to make glazing of a terrace and veranda with your own hands;
- Terrace without walls. Just a canopy, a roof on supports. Or the protruding rafters of the house, if the terrace is adjacent to it. Semi-open version, it is better to put the furniture away from the edge of the roof so that oblique raindrops do not fall. If necessary, the role of the walls can be played by curtains that protect from the sun. And to protect against insects, you can put special nets;
- Pergola terrace. Such small architectural forms are quite popular. Yes, such a roof made of slats will not save you from rain, and it only gives shade partially. But it looks very beautiful, the gatherings take place directly in nature;
- Terrace without a roof, but with walls. This option may seem strange. Yes, there is no rain protection, garden furniture should be chosen portable, folding or not afraid of moisture. And walls are needed to hide from the eyes of neighbors, for example. Or just highlight the borders of the terrace, add a decorative element. And the wall will cover from the wind;
- Fully open terrace. No walls, no roof. Of course, if such a deck is located next to the house, then on the one hand it has protection from the wind. The rest is just a flooring, therefore, the choice of coverage for it needs to be given special attention;
- Terrace-balcony. A good option for a plot with a slope, where such a terrace will hang over the surrounding area and provide a beautiful view.
By the way, any of the types of terraces listed by us can be equipped on an exploited roof.
In addition, the designers distinguish terraces with fireplaces-barbecues, summer kitchens, as well as multifunctional ones – for example, with an outdoor shower or an attached bath-sauna. But these are no longer constructive, but functional features..