In this article, Our site of advice will tell you what the vestibule of a private house can be. We will find out from what materials it can be built, what dimensions such an extension can have, and also give examples of interior design of the vestibule.
The portal has already devoted an article to the design features of the vestibule of a private house, its foundation, roof, purpose. Therefore, you know why you need a vestibule at all, what advantages it gives and how to do everything yourself.
But questions remained, so we decided to talk in more detail about this important part of any home.
Let’s start with the dimensions. Tambours can be:
- Quite tiny. The minimum depth is 1.4 meters, it is this that allows you to take a couple of steps from one door to another and not open them at the same time, letting cold air into the house. In this case, the width of the vestibule can be only 1 meter. This is an economical option for those who believe that the vestibule should not have any additional functions other than protecting housing from the cold;
- Average size, area about 3-4 square meters. In such a vestibule, you can already equip a small hallway, put shelves for shoes and a hanger for outerwear;
- Spacious vestibule with an area of 5 square meters. Often such a room becomes a veranda, closed, heated or not. This is already a full-fledged room that can be used both as a regular hallway and for organizing a family dinner overlooking a well-kept courtyard or garden..
According to its functional purpose, the vestibule can be:
- Just a buffer between the street and the house. Such vestibules are the smallest and do not carry any additional functions;
- Tambour hallway. A very common option, when in the house itself the entrance hall can be omitted – from the vestibule, guests and owners immediately get, for example, into a hall with a staircase to the second floor or into a corridor;
- Tambour-veranda. A spacious room with windows, which can, for example, be turned into a winter garden, a place for gatherings with friends, used as a storage place for a variety of things;
- Tambour-canopy. Used for household needs. For example, summer residents can store garden tools here, cottage owners – everything that is needed for repair and cleaning..
A tambour can be built from the following materials:
- Wood. A logical choice if you have a wooden house, in which case the extension will become part of the exterior;
- Brick. The most durable, reliable, durable option. In addition, the brick vestibule inside can be trimmed with nothing, preserving the beauty of the masonry;
- Aerated concrete and other blocks. Need additional finishing to match the rest of the facade;
- Plastic. In this case, the owners, in fact, do not need to build anything. All details of the vestibule are ordered from companies that produce plastic windows. It looks like a balcony, where the lower part of the walls is deaf, plastic, and at the top there are double-glazed windows. Such vestibules are quite popular precisely because of the time savings of the owners – I ordered them according to their size, paid – everything will be ready soon. But plastic vestibules are traditionally white and will stand out against the background of the facade. However, many do not consider this a disadvantage;
- Fully glazed vestibule. As open as possible, beautiful, but exposing everything inside the extension to the public.
Of course, all of these materials can be combined. For example, build the side walls of bricks, and make the front, most noticeable, glass or plastic with windows. Or clad with wood, for example, planken, an extension from foam blocks.
The interior design, vestibule design, of course, depends on their size and functions. If the vestibule is tiny, then you only need to take care of a reliable door, wall decoration and a durable floor covering that will take the first “hit” of dirty street shoes. More spacious vestibules, as we have already written, are often designed like ordinary hallways. But the decor of the glazed extension, which will be a vestibule-veranda or terrace, needs more attention..