Artificial turf was originally invented for use in stadiums. Here, the living grass is very often trampled down so that bald spots remain, which are difficult to get rid of. But now artificial turf has become much more widespread. We will understand the topic together with the site Our site.
Artificial turf was invented over 50 years ago. Today it is made most often from polypropylene, or rather, from polypropylene fibers, which can be of various heights and thicknesses. The appearance of the lawn will depend on this. There is artificial grass and polyethylene, which is also a fairly stable type of plastic. It looks like a green carpet, sold in rolls.
There are many advantages to artificial grass:
- The scope of application is very wide;
- The appearance is the same at any time of the year;
- You don’t need a lawn mower, watering, care consists in removing debris from the cover;
- Service life is up to 20 years;
- It can be laid on a variety of substrates: soil, asphalt, concrete, gravel;
- You can embody interesting design ideas and decorate not only the site, but also the house.
As you can see in the presented photos, artificial grass in rolls can be laid anywhere. On the site, an artificial turf is usually used in playgrounds, which the portal wrote about in detail. In addition, such a coating is perfect for a sports corner with a horizontal bar. It is also possible to lay an artificial lawn in the barbecue area, where there is garden furniture, to provide a damage-resistant and beautiful surface..
In addition, artificial grass is often laid in shaded areas, around flower beds and beds, and becomes a convenient garden path..
In the house, of course, such a coating is not found so often, usually only on balconies, including open ones, and loggias.
There are three types of artificial turf:
- Unsolicited. Has a low pile – up to 10 millimeters. The coating is unstable, it is used exclusively for decorative purposes;
- Semi-filled. Suitable for playgrounds and sports grounds, garden paths, has a pile up to 35 millimeters long. The filling is done with quartz sand, the more it is, the harder the coating will be;
- Backfill. Designed for stadiums, has a pile length of up to 70 millimeters. Filled up with sand and rubber granulate.
When choosing a false lawn, we advise you to be guided by the following rules:
- For areas where people will walk, choose the semi-filled option;
- The pile should be soft and firm to the touch. It is this that turns out to be the most persistent;
- Matte artificial grass will be more durable, rather than shiny;
- The color should be as close to real grass as possible. In general, the more difficult it is to distinguish a false lawn from a real one, the higher its quality;
- The more tufts of pile per square meter of coverage, the thicker it is, the better it will hide the unevenness of the base.
The process of laying artificial turf looks like this:
- The selected area is cleared of debris, bumps and bumps of the earth are removed, pits are filled in, alignment occurs;
- If the grass is laid on the ground, we advise you to wet it so that it sags. Then align again;
- We organize a small slope – up to 6 millimeters per linear meter, so that water does not accumulate under the coating. This is especially true if there is a solid base under the lawn that does not absorb water;
- Create a drainage layer from gravel or rubble. If the rolls of artificial grass will be laid on concrete or asphalt, a backing will be required;
- Carefully unwind the roll of lawn, lay it exactly in the joint. If the edges are uneven, make an overlap. The gap between the canvases should not exceed a millimeter. Scissors or a stationery knife are used to cut the canvases;
- We are waiting for a day or two for the material to completely straighten out;
- We connect the edges of the canvases with a special tape or a tension stapler. The connection method must be specified by the manufacturer;
- Before fastening to the ground, fill the semi-filled lawn with quartz sand. Then the edges are fixed with staples, hairpins, nails, wire.
For clarity, we will give you a video of laying a false lawn:
Finally, simple tips for caring for artificial grass:
- Brush it regularly so that the villi are evenly distributed and tilted in one direction;
- Remove debris with a lightweight rake to keep your lawn looking attractive. Make sure that no chewing gum, cigarette butts are thrown onto the coating;
- Do not walk on the false lawn in shoes with spikes, do not pierce with sharp objects;
- It is not recommended to remove ice and snow from artificial grass with scrapers and shovels.
The price of one square meter of false lawn varies from 200 to 500 rubles, depending on the quality and height of the pile.