- Requirements for country hoses
- Features of materials for the manufacture of watering hoses
- Rubber hose
- Plastic hose
- PVC hoses
- Nylon Hose Models
- Additional selection criteria: dimensions, transparency, temperature standards
- Buying a hose: general guidelines
- How to store watering equipment correctly
The key to good plant growth and a rich harvest is regular watering of the garden and vegetable garden. The garden hose will help to cope with this task. In this article, we will consider the main criteria for choosing inventory, provide practical advice on buying, storing and using hoses..
Requirements for country hoses
In order for the hose to serve for more than one season, its choice must be approached carefully and take into account all the criteria that can affect the ease of watering and the durability of the tool. High-quality watering equipment should have the following characteristics:
- Strength. Resistant to frequent bending and mechanical damage.
- Wear resistance of the coating. Moving around the site, the hose rubs against the ground, garden paths, obstacles. The surface of the hose must not be abraded, minor scratches are acceptable.
- Resistant to temperature fluctuations.
- Environmental friendliness. The inner layer must be non-toxic.
- Presence of protection against twisting and creases. This role is played by the reinforcing braid.
- Withstand high water supply pressure (average water pressure in the pipes – approx. 4 bar).
Advice.The markings on the hose indicate the maximum allowable pressure that the equipment will withstand and maintain its integrity. The 5-6 bar model is suitable for watering the garden.
Features of materials for the manufacture of watering hoses
The choice of material for the irrigation hose should be given special attention, because it is this parameter that largely determines the service life of the hose.
The rubber garden hose is a traditional design that has not lost its position today. Its popularity is due to a number of advantages:
- Reliability and durability. The material is able to withstand a flow of water up to 40 atmospheres, tolerates frost well and is resistant to ultraviolet radiation.
- Elasticity. Even with frequent twisting, the hose does not crack and remains tight.
- Durability. The service life of the device under normal conditions reaches 20 years.
The disadvantages include:
- Great weight. A heavy hose is difficult to move around the site, and to facilitate the process, you will need to purchase a reel.
- Toxicity. Many rubber models use recycled materials. Such a hose is suitable for irrigation of horticultural crops, but it cannot be used for supplying drinking water.
A plastic hose is, rather, a temporary measure of watering, since such products are very fragile, deformed from temperature fluctuations, and when bent, they crack. The inner surface is prone to limescale build-up. The advantages of such models: affordable cost and lightness.
Polyvinyl chloride hoses have the following technical and operational characteristics:
- light weight;
- permissible internal pressure – 35 bar;
- reinforced mesh insures against twisting and evenly distributes the jet pressure;
- operating temperature range -25 … + 60 ° С;
- variability of models – spray irrigation (presence of symmetrical holes), three-jet irrigation;
- service life – about 5 years.
Important! PVC hoses are vulnerable to ultraviolet rays: in the sun, the material burns out and loses its elasticity, so such a product must be stored in a dark place.
Nylon Hose Models
The synthetic hoses are strong, flexible and light enough. They are easy to use and can withstand multiple folds and twists. However, when buying a nylon model, you should not count on long-term operation – the hose deforms with changes in temperature and will last no more than 2 years. As a rule, such devices are single-layer and are able to withstand a slight water pressure (about 3 bar).
Additional selection criteria: dimensions, transparency, temperature standards
Choosing the right hose size determines the speed and convenience of watering. When calculating the length and diameter, the following rules are followed.
The diameter is selected based on the length of the inventory. The standard hose size is 0.5 “(13 mm) corresponds to the typical diameter of water pipes and is suitable for models up to 50 m. If the hose length is more than 50 m, then it is better to choose a 3/4 or 1” (19, 25 mm) product. To connect to the water supply, you will need an adapter with a fit to the size of the hose.
The degree of transparency affects the quality of the irrigation water. In completely transparent models, there are no reflective pigments, and algae appear on the inner walls of the hose under the influence of the sun – the water begins to bloom, acquires an unpleasant odor.
Temperature indicators at which the hose retains its performance are in the range from -15 to +60 ° C. Some low-quality models crack at -3 ° C or deform already at +30 ° C, and with each subsequent temperature fluctuation they lose their elasticity. Such a hose will have to be protected from the sun and stored in a heated room in winter..
Note:the most resistant to frost and summer heat are reinforced polyvinyl chloride models.
Buying a hose: general guidelines
Recommendations to help you make the right choice when buying an irrigation hose:
- A steel-reinforced hose with 3–4 inner layers will last about 10–15 years. In this case, the high cost is justified by durability and strength..
- Do not overpay for a high working pressure. For watering plants, it is enough that the hose withstands 5 bar.
- When buying a rubber hose, you must choose a model with a wall thickness of 4–6 mm – this is the best indicator that guarantees the strength and durability of the product.
- Ask the seller for the conclusion of the sanitary service for the goods. The inner lining of the tube must not contain harmful impurities and heavy metals.
- The strength of the reinforced hose is influenced by the braiding pattern. Cross-shaped option – there is a risk of cracks and blisters, mesh weaving is a more practical and reliable option.
- You can save on buying a spray nozzle and make it yourself using available tools.
A self-expanding hose, consisting of two layers: the inner tube is soft rubber, the outer shell is nylon, is gaining popularity among summer residents. Under water pressure, the hose increases 3 times. The model is equipped with a nozzle with a switch that regulates the water supply.
XHose Stretch Hose Video
Table. Comparative characteristics of different hose models
Name Tecnotubi trico lux Intertool X-Hose Evci plastik Cellfast green FORTE Meteor Manufacturer country Italy China Turkey Poland China Manufacturing material Pvc silicone / polyester Pvc Pvc Pvc Length, m 50 thirty 50 50 20 Diameter, mm nineteen nineteen nineteen nineteen 12.5 Working pressure, bar 27 3 3 thirty 3 additional characteristics multilayer, temperature range -10 … + 65 ° С self-stretching 3-layer, reinforced, operating temperature -5 … + 60 ° С 5-layer, reinforced (cross and chain mail braid), temperature range -10 … + 50 ° С 3-layer, reinforced, operating temperature -5 … + 60 ° С Manufacturer’s warranty 12 months 14 days not 2 years not Price, EUR 65-70 sixteen 18-20 25-30 8
How to store watering equipment correctly
After watering, drain the remaining water from the hose and transfer it to a shaded place. It is better to store short models in a suspended state, while long ones can be wound on a special reel.