Nothing decorates a suburban area like a pond. In this article we will tell you how to make a decorative pond on your own. It will not require large labor and material costs from you, but, at the same time, it will delight you with its beautiful appearance.
The main problem of any suburban area is its decoration. The garden has been planted, the vegetable garden has been laid out, but something is missing, something for the soul. This is especially true for flat areas that do not have natural elevation differences – the simplicity of the landscape, in which there is nothing to catch the eye, sometimes just depressing. The ideal solution to the problem of decorating a site is to organize a pond. It is clear that I would like to have a pond, which you can not only admire, but also in which you can swim in the heat, but organizing such a pond is a very difficult matter, and if you have to rely only on your own strength, then it is simply impossible. If you organize a small decorative pond, then it is quite possible to do it yourself. This will be discussed in this article..
It should be understood that a pond is not only a decoration of the site, but also a unique mechanism for organizing a special microclimate. The water creates the coolness you need on hot summer days. In addition, a number of animals and plants that live only near or directly in the water will significantly diversify the living world of your site..
To organize such a pond, you can purchase a special container of a suitable size and shape in a specialized store. It remains only to bury it in the ground and pour water. This option, although simple to organize, is quite expensive in terms of costs. We will make the reservoir ourselves.
Materials and tools
To organize a decorative pond, you need very little:
- Building level.
- Rammer. You can make it yourself from a wooden block with an even cut by attaching two handles to it.
- Wide spatula.
- Polyethylene black film of maximum thickness.
- Decorative boulders.
- Sand – about 3-4 buckets.
- Ornamental plants.
We make a decorative pond
1. We dig out a small pit of the desired shape. Its depth is about a meter. We organize smaller places around the perimeter – steps. We carefully free the pit from debris – branches, roots and stones. Pour some sand at the bottom of the pit so that a pillow is about 50 mm thick. We carefully level with a spatula and ram all surfaces – the bottom and sides of the pond. The surface of the water is always horizontal, therefore, so that the height of the banks is the same along the entire perimeter, we align the upper edge horizontally to the level
2. We cover the foundation pit of the future pond with two layers of thick black plastic wrap. Of course, it is better to use a special rubberized film, but it is very expensive, and we are doing a budget option. In the end, if everything is done correctly, then polyethylene can last up to 10 years..
3. Sprinkle the edges of the film along the perimeter of the reservoir with soil and sand. We spread granite boulders on one side of the pond, add pebbles.
4. Decorate the banks of the pond with stones and plants. You can decorate the pond at your own discretion, this is a very exciting activity. Plants can be planted directly in the ground, or in special plastic containers – this will make it possible to change the appearance of the pond. Ferns, alyssium and other ground cover plants look beautiful.
5. Upon completion of the coastal decoration, fill in water. It is important that dirt and clay do not get into the pond, this will cause premature flowering of the water. It is necessary to add water periodically. It is advisable to change it once a year..
6. Towards the end of summer, when the vegetation around the perimeter of the pond takes on a natural shape, the pond will take on the form that you wanted.
7. Snails, frogs, dragonflies and other small animals in the pond will start on their own. You can add live fish, the main thing to remember is that such a reservoir in winter will completely freeze through, therefore, you need to choose the species that is able to survive it, for example, crucian carp. Otherwise, it will be necessary to transplant the fish into a warm aquarium for the wintering period, or even abandon the idea of keeping fish. If you organize a special part of the pond – a whirlpool, at least 1500 mm deep, then you will not have much trouble with organizing the wintering of fish – in this place the pond will not freeze to the bottom.
8. As a result, you will get such a pond..