Growing green onions on a windowsill is a very popular activity, especially in winter, when there is no way to grow something on the land. One original method of growing onions on a feather will be discussed in this article..
Many people grow green onions on the windowsill at the end of winter. Spring is still far away, but I already want fresh vitamins. There are many ways to grow onions, for example, plant them in a pot, or, as many housewives do, in a glass of water. Both methods have several obvious disadvantages – the onion takes a long time to sprout, over time it begins to rot, a midge and an unpleasant odor appear. I don’t really want to keep such “beauty” in the kitchen. There is one interesting way of forcing green onions quickly. It is free from the listed disadvantages and allows you to get an onion feather in two weeks..
Tools and materials
For work we need:
- Air aquarium compressor.
- Threads for decoration.
- Electric soldering iron.
- Thermal gun.
- Small plastic food bucket with lid.
- Bulbs – 7 pieces.
Making a pot “with a secret”
It will take you no more than 30 minutes to make a pot for forcing green onions. The method is based on the same notorious container with water in which the bulbs are located, only this container has a volume calculated not for one onion, like a glass, but for seven. In addition, oxygen is supplied to the water using an aquarium air compressor. It provides optimal conditions for the growth and development of the root system, since the oxygen-rich water prevents the decay process.
So let’s get started.
1. If you want the bulbs themselves to be hidden, and only green feathers come out, then cut off the lid with a knife – so that it can drop 1/3 into the bucket. Otherwise, we leave everything as it is..
2. Divide the cover into six equal parts.
3. Solder seven round holes with a soldering iron. These will be bulb nests.
4. With a knife we clean the irregularities and make a small hole for the compressor tube.
5. We fix the lid in the bucket with a heat gun.
6. To give the bucket a beautiful look, we decorate it with two colors of threads.
7. We fix the thread with glue, or with a heat gun.
8. Our pot is ready.
9. Prepare the bulbs. We cut off their tails. So the bulbs germinate evenly and well..
10. Install the compressor.
11. Pour water and stick our bulbs into the prepared holes. Water should cover the bottom of the bulbs by a quarter.
12. Here’s a pot “with a secret” in the end should turn out.
13. In two weeks we will get a harvest of green onions.
The described method is perfect for use not only in winter, but also throughout the year. Not every person has a piece of land on which to grow something, but everyone wants to eat fresh green onions, and most importantly always.