- WPC production
- WPC fence and fencing options
- Installation of WPC fences
- Advantages of composite fences
- Average cost of materials and assembly of the fence
A wooden fence serves for many years, but over time, the question of painting it again arises before you. It can be solved once and for all by installing a WPC fence. Modern wood-polymer composite looks like natural wood, but it is much more practical and does not require processing with special compounds.
The process of manufacturing a wood-polymer composite includes the stages of mixing the filler with plasticizers and polymerization. Waste from wood processing acts as a filler, in particular chips, sawdust, straw, flax can be found. The polymer additive is polyethylene, polypropylene or PVC. Some manufacturers add glass or metal particles. To improve the quality characteristics, color stabilizers, flame retardants and UV stabilizers are added to the main composition. WPC is made by extrusion. This technological method consists in obtaining the desired product by forcing a mixture of components through the forming cavity. The manufacturing scheme is as follows:
- Wood is crushed and dried.
- Polymer additives, wood and auxiliary components are placed in a press extruder.
- Finished products are coated with varnishes, enamels or paint.
The percentage of wood in the composite may vary depending on the manufacturer. WPC with a wood content of 50–80% is similar to MDF. A composite with a high plastics content looks like plastic on the outside. To obtain optimal quality characteristics, a composite is produced with an equal content of wood and plastic.
One of the areas of use of WPC is the production of deck boards, floor boards, wall panels and fences. Fences made of wood-polymer composite have become quite widespread in recent years and are represented by a wide range of options.
WPC fence and fencing options
Fence sellers from this material offer several options. The main types of composite wood-plastic fences are:
1. “Classic” – is a vertically installed WPC support profiles. Between them, at a great distance, there are several vertical boards of small width..
2. Mixed version. Such a fence usually has a stone or brick base. And between the support posts, composite picket boards are installed at a short distance.
3. “Country” consists of vertical prefabricated WPC supports. Two horizontal crossbars are installed between the posts. Inside such a rectangle there are two fence boards crossed among themselves.
4. “Country Plus” is similar to “Country”, only there can be 4 or 6 crossed boards inside.
5. “Picket fence” made of WPC is very similar to the version of pure wood. It can be of different shapes: all boards will be located at the same or different heights.
6. “Blind” composite fence represents boards tightly spaced to each other, horizontally between prefabricated supports.
7. Double picket fence practically does not transmit light and represents vertical boards arranged in a checkerboard pattern.
8. “Braid”. Between the supporting pillars, boards of small width are located diagonally and installed on different sides, forming a large number of small rhombuses.
Many sellers offer ready-made models that each owner can assemble on their own..
Installation of WPC fences
Before starting work on installing a WPC fence, it is necessary to mark the area and install supports. Usually, a metal profile with a round or rectangular cross section is used as supports. Poles, as a rule, are concreted, but installation options are possible: driving in and butting. After installing the metal pillars, you can start assembling the WPC structure, in which the support pillar will be hidden. The remaining elements will be attached to such a decorative profile: horizontal crossbars, railings and pickets. To firmly fasten the elements in them, you need to drill holes of the required diameter for the fasteners. By means of self-tapping screws, the pickets or railings are attached to the main parts. When installing the fence, it is necessary to accurately position the elements so that the fence looks beautiful.
Advantages of composite fences
Wood-polymer composite has a number of advantages over a conventional wooden fence:
- It does not need to be constantly treated with an antiseptic and painted.
- It does not fade in the sun and retains its original color for a long time.
- Will last more than fifteen years.
- Environmentally friendly.
- Has high resistance to ambient temperature and precipitation.
- Resistant to various deformations.
A wood-polymer composite fence looks like a wooden fence, but it has all the quality indicators of plastic. These designs look not only stylish, but also expensive..
Average cost of materials and assembly of the fence
Typically, the cost of a wood-polymer composite fence is defined as the price of one section. The size of a standard section of such a fence is 1800×1800 millimeters. Depending on the option chosen, the price varies between 3,100-5,800 rubles per section. Usually sellers also offer assembly of the structure. The cost of assembling the structure is 600 rubles per section. A number of sellers can find prices per square meter of such a fence. For “deaf” options, the cost ranges from 1600 to 2200 rubles per square meter. Variants of the classic wood-polymer composite picket fence are cheaper. Their cost is 1200 rubles / sq. m.
Choosing a WPC fence, you will not have to constantly process the fence, it is enough to periodically remove dirt and dust from the surface. You can save on paint and preservatives. Such a fence will last for many years and withstand a wide variety of temperatures..