A perforated fastener is a metal plate in which holes are evenly drilled for fastening. The plate is a very simplified formulation, because there are many types of perforated fasteners, and some can have a very complex shape. It would be more accurate to say that we are talking about a special type of metal products, hardware. And the main feature of perforated fasteners is the presence of holes – perforations.
By the way, the screw compensator for the shrinkage of log cabins and houses from a bar, which we wrote about in detail, also refers to perforated fasteners – there are holes for fasteners in its plates.
Perforated fasteners are made of high-carbon steel, protected from corrosion by a zinc layer.
The main purpose of this type of fastener is to connect all kinds of wooden parts. Perforated fasteners are widely used during the construction of frame houses, buildings from a bar. Even if your future house is stone, perforated fasteners will come in handy during the construction of the rafter system, the arrangement of the roof.
In addition, perforated plates of various shapes and sizes are used in the manufacturing process of furniture, when working with drywall, installation of ventilation systems, facade structures.
Traditional thickness of steel in perforated fasteners – 2-2.5 mm.
The most common types of perforated fasteners are:
- Plate. The simplest type of fastening, which is used if the parts to be connected are in the same plane. The following types of mounting plates are distinguished:
- КР – plate with additional large holes.
- Nail Plates.
- RS – connecting plates with staggered holes for self-tapping screws. The size comes in 10–20 mm increments in length and width, so choosing the right one is easy.
- Corner. The perforated mounting bracket is used where wooden elements are to be joined at an angle. There are reinforced (with an additional stiffener) and mounting angles, there are varieties such as connecting, equilateral, wide, asymmetric, Z-shaped, sliding, for an angle of 135 °. The corners are generally more diverse in shape and size than the plates, because their scope is much wider;
- Supports for beams. A very important type of fastening, connecting a separate beam at an angle to the floor, used in the construction of roofing systems. Allocate supports for beams of the open type (metal “ears”, side plates, stick out outward) and closed type (“ears” are turned inward). These supports are designated as OBR R and OBR Z. In addition, there are right and left split perforated beam supports that are suitable for non-standard sized timber;
- Highlights sliding roof support. It is intended to connect the rafter system, in particular, the rafters with the Mauerlat. Timber is always subject to shrinkage, sliding fasteners are designed to help fight possible distortions and weakening of the roof structure. Sliding supports can also be open and closed;
- Ribbons. Perforated belts are used where there is a heavy load on structural parts. They can also serve as an additional fastening element..
As you can see, there are a large number of perforated fasteners. They also vary in size. For example, a support for an open beam can be designated OBR R 100x140x75x2.0. This means that the width of the beam that this fastener will hold is 100 millimeters, and the height is at least 140 mm. The thickness of the fastener, respectively, is 2 mm, and 75 mm is the width of the support for the timber.
The holes in the perforated fasteners can be 4.5, 4.8, 4.9, 5.2, 6.5, 7, 8, 9, 10.5, 11, 12, 13, 13.3 mm in diameter. Wood grouses (plumbing screws) are usually screwed into large holes, screws and punched (screw) nails into small holes. It is not recommended to use simple smooth nails, as a result, the structure may loosen over time. Anchor bolts and screws are also used. The presence of large holes for anchoring allows you to connect not only wooden parts, but also to attach timber, boards to concrete, brick surfaces.
The cost of perforated mounts, too, will be different – from 7 rubles for a simple plate 100×35 mm to 60 rubles for an open support of a beam of 100×140 mm. In any case, perforated fasteners, with their reliability, wide range of applications, variety of shapes and sizes, are very affordable and popular hardware. Purchase such fasteners if necessary, use them, and let nothing shake.