Before proceeding directly to the repair, we strongly advise you to make an estimate and calculate the upcoming costs, at least approximately. It is advisable to increase costs, calculate with a margin, so that later you do not have to save on the most important things. Use computer programs to visualize how the rooms will look after redevelopment and major repairs.
Think over where the furniture will stand, choose the colors of wallpaper and paints, in general, decide what exactly you want to do and how much you can afford to spend on interior renovation.
Important! The main principle of carrying out repair work is first rough, then finishing! This is logical and understandable, because you can’t put tiles or wallpaper on unprepared walls..
1. The first step in any renovation work is to clean the old finish. We get rid of old wallpaper, cut off the radiators, if it is decided to replace them, remove the pipes, remove the floor covering. In general, we remove everything that is tired or has served its purpose, making room for a new interior. Do not forget to take care of the disposal of construction waste.
Important! The second principle of renovation work is to go from top to bottom, from ceiling to floor, so as not to spoil the new finish, for example, not to drip wallpaper while painting the ceiling. However, if a new screed is needed on the floor, it needs to be leveled, this dirty rough work is done first. But with the final finishing of the floor, you should wait so as not to spoil the parquet, laminate or linoleum while plastering the canvas and walls.
2. If somewhere in the apartment it is planned to build a new partition, this is the first stage of repair work after cleaning the old finish. Experts advise to build partitions before laying communications, so that later they do not have to be redone. The construction of a partition, for example, in a bathroom, can be combined with the laying of pipes that are easily hidden between plasterboard plates, for example.
3. Before arranging the floor screed and plaster, you should do electrical wiring, gouge walls, lay water pipes to the places where there will be taps in the kitchen and bathroom, equip the sewage system, change heating pipes. New radiators should be installed after finishing the walls, this can be done at the last moment, but the leads to them are equipped in advance, these are rough work.
4. Installation of new windows should be carried out before starting work with plaster. You will also have to level the slopes, so you should not tighten it. You can protect new windows with foil, masking tape. It is better to insert double-glazed windows at the stage of rough finishing, in order to then deal exclusively with finishing, finishing work.
5. We start to work with plaster, level the walls, floors, ceilings. This is one of the longest and dirtiest stages of a renovation. Sometimes the plaster has to be applied in two layers. Do not forget to use reinforcing mesh in the cracked areas. At the same stage, work is carried out with drywall, if arches, boxes under a suspended or stretch ceiling are built from it. Do not forget about the slopes, it’s time to tackle them by leveling with plaster or laying drywall sheets.
6. After the plaster has dried, you can proceed to the putty. We carefully prepare the surfaces for painting and wallpapering, remove all irregularities. After the putty has dried, we prime the surfaces. If there are, for example, MDF panels on the walls, they do not need to align the walls so carefully, the stage of putty can be neglected, as is the case with plastic panels on the ceiling of a kitchen or bathroom.
7. In the bathroom, toilet, kitchen, you can proceed to laying tiles on the prepared walls and floor. After that, you can install new plumbing.
Important! Repair work should be started from the farthest room of an apartment or house, so that later not to dirty the already repaired premises..
8. We paint according to the familiar principle – from top to bottom. We order a stretch ceiling in advance, after leveling the walls and building a box around the perimeter of the room, if any. The ceiling plinth, if painting is to be done, is also glued immediately after the putty, and then we paint together with the ceiling and walls. If wallpaper is selected for decoration, the skirting board can be glued later to hide the joint in the corner..
Important! The ceiling plinth often needs to be filled with gaps and putty. By the way, you can glue it directly onto the putty, immediately getting rid of possible irregularities. That is why this stage of repair often precedes wallpapering and painting..
9. You can do the final finishing of the floor, laying linoleum, laminate or other type of flooring of your choice..
10. After laying the flooring, you can put the interior doors, if the walls are already ready – attach the platbands.
11. At the final stage, floor skirting boards, various decorative elements and accessories are installed. Sockets and switches, or rather, their top panels, are also installed on already painted or wallpaper-pasted walls, on tiles or panels. At the same stage, all lighting devices are installed..
It is advisable to order new furniture for the kitchen after finishing, so that the measurements are accurate. Although some experts believe that there is no need to wait, the measurers will be able to figure out for themselves what gap to leave.
After repairs, a general cleaning is required, then you can start arranging furniture and plan how you will celebrate a housewarming!