It’s no secret that we have been doing repairs in the bathroom for years, because the tiles traditionally used in this room are durable materials. And what is now an acceptable and beautiful arrangement for you may turn out to be inconvenient and simply dangerous in a few years.
We have already written what devices can help in caring for a disabled person or an elderly person who already finds it difficult to cope on their own. But now let’s talk about how to equip your bathroom in advance in such a way that after a few years it remains as comfortable for you as possible..
Let’s take a standard bathroom, combined with a toilet, and see what exactly needs to be changed in it so that it remains safe and comfortable even when you are “far behind”:
- We abandon the bath in favor of a shower cabin. Agree that climbing over the high sides of the bathtub is much more dangerous and much less convenient than just stepping over the low sill of the shower stall. Therefore, you should definitely think about this option;
- However, if you do not intend to give up the bath, you should make sure that its sides are as thin and low as possible. If possible, the bath can simply be “drowned” in a specially built podium with steps;
- The shower cabin itself, if you have made a choice in its favor with a long-range focus on a comfortable old age, should be as convenient as possible. The door is minimal, or better without it at all, with a seat and a height-adjustable shower head so that you can wash while sitting on a bench;
- Make sure that all bathroom accessories are close at hand, so as not to reach for the cabinet in a wet state, risking slipping;
- By the way, about the risk of slipping: let the tiles on the floor be matte, textured, and there will be a mat on it, which must be special, sticking to the surface and definitely not letting fall out of the blue;
- Raise the toilet or buy a special, taller model. Let the seat of the “faience friend” be located at a height of not 40 cm (a standard indicator), but 48–50 cm. It will be more convenient to sit down and get up;
- You should also take care of the comfortable height of the sink, let it be approximately like a kitchen countertop – 85–87 cm;
- Do not forget about how you have to wash the bathroom when bending and kneeling is no longer so easy. It is better to give up glass inserts and a door, which will have to be constantly rubbed, getting rid of traces of drops and streaks. From the point of view of cleaning, a toilet bowl suspended on the wall is much more convenient, you don’t have to wash its leg;
- It is worth taking care of the correct lighting so that even a person with poor eyesight can see everything they need. Illumination by the mirror, bright lamps with high power will help illuminate every corner of the bath;
- Handrails, of course, will not decorate the look of the bathroom too much, but they can become a necessity if a very elderly person who needs support is using a shower, sink, toilet..
Nobody wants to grow old, we understand, it is sometimes difficult to even think about it. But this is the reality of our life, so our tips will help you create a comfortable and safe bathroom space for years to come..