The first thing to decide before buying a mixer for the kitchen is the price range. It is very large now. In building hypermarkets and online stores, you can find mixers at prices ranging from 350 to 120,000 rubles. It is clear that not everyone can afford a kitchen faucet that costs more than the average wage. But experts do not recommend buying the cheapest models either – they will last a couple of months and are often no longer subject to repair. The optimal price range for a kitchen mixer, according to experts, is from 2,000 to 7,000 rubles.
The second selection criterion is the location of the mixer – on the wall or countertop. Wall-mounted mixers, according to experts, are practically out of demand today. They are bought mainly for apartments in the old housing stock, where it was decided not to change the distribution of water pipes. In modern houses and apartments, the wall option is rare..
The third criterion is management. We are talking mainly about two versions – two-valve mixers and single-lever mixers. Now there are taps that turn on by touch, sensory, which is convenient if your hands are dirty. But this is a completely different price category. In the middle price range, you can choose only two taps for cold and hot water or one common lever. These two options have their pros and cons:
- Two valves force you to use two hands to quickly establish the optimal water temperature. Not very convenient. But on the other hand, axle cranes are easier to repair with your own hands. In addition, two-valve taps fit perfectly into the interiors of the kitchen in a retro style and are more economical in water consumption;
- The single lever mixer is much more popular now. This is understandable – its convenience can hardly be overestimated. And such cranes look modern and stylish. You can even open or close the tap with your elbow if your hands are dirty, for example, with dough. There are few minuses – in case of repair, you will most often have to change the cartridge, which suffers from poor-quality water.
By the way, earlier it was recommended to choose only two-valve mixers for gas water heaters in order to more accurately and more smoothly regulate the water temperature.
The fourth selection criterion is the height of the crane. The higher the mixer, the more expensive it will be. But you cannot save on this characteristic! The height of the tap should match your kitchen sink. If the sink is deep, more than 200 mm, you can save on tap height. For shallow sinks, the mixer spout is needed above. Focus on such an important point as a set of water in a pan. Will it fit under the spout of the mixer? No – look for a higher model.
A special case is professional mixers for restaurants. Now these can be bought simply for home cooking. They have a spout height adjustable to your liking thanks to a flexible metal hose. It is very convenient, but the price of the mixer rises significantly.
The fifth important criterion is the material of the mixer. There are many options here:
- plastic. The cheapest option, such cranes are not afraid of rust. But they are not in demand due to their unsightly appearance and fragility. Option for giving – for one season. Or for a rented apartment;
- silumin. Alloy of silicon and aluminum. Chinese invention. Such mixers are cheap, they look very decent, but they do not last long because of their fragility and instability to hot water;
- chromium. Popular, durable coating. Minus – drops and fingerprints remain on the mixer;
- brass. A sought-after and durable option;
- nickel. Typically, these mixers are not glossy, but matte. As a result, they do not need to be rubbed, they are easier to care for;
- steel. Such mixers cost a little more than brass ones, otherwise they are in no way inferior to them;
- bronze and copper. Beautiful mixers can actually be made by spraying these metals. But they still serve for a long time;
- stone, ceramics. Mixers made from granite, other natural stone or ceramics are an exclusive and expensive option. But on the other hand, they look very attractive, durable, perfect for sinks made of natural and artificial stone.
What additional mixer features are worth paying for:
- the presence of an aerator that prevents the stream of water from hitting the sink and splashing. Nowadays, silicone aerators are relevant, which are very easy to wash from lime, whose accumulation is associated with hard water;
- the presence of touch control, when you can touch the mixer to turn on the water, for example, with the back of the hand;
- the presence of a shower head, which makes it very convenient to draw water into a pot next to it on the countertop, wash vegetables and fruits and perform other actions, not limited to the height of the spout and the size of the sink;
- the presence of an exclusive design, unusual external data of the mixer;
- the ability to turn on and off the mixer with your foot (FootControl);
- availability of protection from children;
- the presence of a thermostat to regulate the temperature of the water;
- the ability to receive boiling water, carbonated, filtered water from the mixer.
Saving water is not as relevant for a kitchen faucet as it is for a bathroom. Much more important, according to customer statistics, is the appearance, the presence of additional functions and the price.
We strongly recommend choosing a mixer specifically for your sink. It is advisable to buy this kit at the same time. Or go to the store with the results of measuring the depth, width and length of the bowl. Remember that a sink with two bowls requires a mixer that can rotate and reach in both directions..