Organic, clear acrylic glass ceilings are not a common choice. Especially in homes and apartments, as many people consider this finish to be suitable only for commercial premises and offices. Our advice site will tell you about the features of acrylic ceilings, their capabilities and disadvantages.
On the basis of acrylic, very different things are made today – from sealants, adhesives and paints to baths and furniture, the pros and cons of which the portal wrote in detail. For lining the ceilings, acrylic sheets are used that transmit light. Actually, this is a suspended ceiling, in which, instead of the usual drywall, plastic sheets or slats, acrylic is used, which is similar in characteristics to glass.
The advantages of acrylic ceilings are:
- The sheets weigh a little, you do not need a reinforced crate to which they will be attached.
- Installation is quite simple, no more difficult than working with drywall.
- You can arrange a very effective lighting by hiding LED lamps under transparent sheets..
- It is possible to choose matte acrylic, to make a painting to get a very beautiful and at the same time relatively inexpensive stained glass window.
- The ceiling finish is durable.
- A transparent ceiling with illumination visually makes the room higher, gives airiness and spaciousness.
- Acrylic has a fairly high strength. Even if you break it, for example, children played with a ball and hit the ceiling with it, the material will not scatter into fragments..
- You can use acrylic on the ceiling in the bathroom and in the kitchen, since hardboard is not afraid of moisture.
Most often, not the entire ceiling is trimmed with acrylic, but only the central part, framing it with plasterboard. Acrylic sheets on the ceiling can be washed and wiped, easy to care for, which is important, for example, for the kitchen.
The frame for acrylic panels is traditionally made from a metal or metal-plastic profile. For the purpose of decoration, frames made of wood and composites, metal painted in gold or silver can be used. The joints between the sheets can be patinated. The acrylic sheets themselves can be of different sizes, in the form of rhombuses, squares and rectangles. Curved, wavy elements can also be used, but such a ceiling finish is always more difficult and more expensive..
The cost of acrylic sheets for the ceiling starts at 900 rubles per square meter. It is more expensive than a stretch ceiling, which makes acrylic not a very popular choice. In addition, for many, such a ceiling seems too cold, although in the case of stained-glass windows this cannot be said for sure. But the price of such a colorful finish will be significantly higher than the indicated one..