Of course, wood is a traditional material for decorating a Russian bath. But for the floor, it is better to choose the most durable and durable option – tiles. Let’s talk about what should be a tile for a bath, Our tips site will tell you about the main criteria for choosing this material.
In the bath, the flooring is subjected to truly extreme tests. In the steam room, this is high temperature, condensation, hot splashes. In the shower – the effect of a strong pressure of hot water. Not to mention mechanical stress. For these reasons, floor tiles in a bath must meet the following technical parameters:
- Wear resistance class PEI2 – PEI3. Such a tile can withstand significant loads, has a thickness of 7 to 11 millimeters;
- Moisture resistance. The moisture absorption rate should be minimal. Tiles with the AI and BI markings, which are produced by extrusion and pressing, respectively, are suitable for you. It is she who has the smallest porosity and does not absorb moisture;
- Heat resistance. Look for tiles marked “T”. And a snowflake if your sauna is not heated in winter and will be exposed to low temperatures. It’s great if the marking has both the sun and the snowflake. Such a tile easily tolerates temperature extremes;
- Quality. The tiles must be of the same thickness, the angles when applied must match perfectly. However, this criterion is taken into account when choosing tiles for any room..
Important! One of the most important criteria for choosing a tile for a bath floor is relief. The risk of slipping on wet tiles must be minimized! Use only tiles marked R11-R13, this is the highest anti-slip coefficient.
As for the type of tiles for the bath, you can choose one of the following options:
- Tile, that is, ordinary and familiar ceramic tiles. Naturally, it meets all of the above technical parameters;
- Metlakh tiles. Very beautiful, allowing you to play with the decor, non-slip;
- Clinker. Heat-resistant tiles, fired at temperatures up to + 1450 ° C. The clinker can also be used for lining the oven in the bath;
- Terracotta tiles, the features of which the portal devoted a separate article to. Long-term, more than 18 hours, firing gives it special heat resistance and strength;
- Porcelain stoneware. Fine-pored tiles, fired at temperatures above + 1250 ° C. Choose unpolished porcelain stoneware, it is non-porous, matte, not afraid of moisture and slipping on it is much more difficult than on polished;
- Talcochlorite. An excellent choice for a bath. Talcochlorite emits heat radiation, useful for humans, and is often used in bath stoves. Low slip coefficient and high strength are the distinguishing features of the tiles made of this stone.
The design, color of the tiles for the bath can be any – to your taste. The main thing is that the created interior is harmonious and comfortable. Often for a bath, tiles are chosen that imitate natural stone and wood..
Important! Experts advise choosing a relatively small tile for the bathroom floor, for example, 10×10 centimeters. With its help, you can create a slope for water drainage, which is necessary both in the steam room and in the washing room..
The process of laying tiles in a bath is no different from the usual one. If you have a concrete floor, you need a flat screed. If the base is wooden – damper pad and waterproofing.