Many homeowners are sure that the main thing in choosing wallpaper for the corridor and hallway is their “indestructibility”. It is logical, because the premises are walk-through. However, according to the designers, you need to choose wallpaper for the hallway and corridor in different ways. Our tips site will give you tips for making this choice with examples..
How are most hallways planned out? The man opens the front door and immediately sees the passage to the next room with a window. This layout allows you to provide natural light in the hallway or hall, where there are often no own windows. That is, the wall with the interior door opposite the entrance becomes the most noticeable.
If the layout of your hallway is exactly like this, listen to the recommendations of the designers:
- Make the wall with the door through which you can see the window of the next room accent. Remember the portal wrote in detail about the focal point? So it is this wall, which every person who gets into the house will go, should be highlighted with spectacular wallpaper. It is quite possible to save on finishing the rest of the walls by making them neutral, basic. All the same, they remain behind and on the sides of the entering person, so they will not be striking;
- For an accent wall behind which there is a source of natural light, choose a contrasting, expressive pattern. Do not forget that you will have to look at it against the light, so the pattern on the wallpaper should “work”, be noticeable.
In this small apartment, the hallway is tiny. Moreover, incoming guests immediately see the wall of the bathroom, flowing into the living room. It was this transition that made the accent of the whole room. And the wall behind the back is simply painted white – anyway, part of it is occupied by furniture and things..
As you can see, the accent wall in the hallway always plays an important role and makes the room more interesting and attractive. Accents can be placed in different ways, saving on the amount of wallpaper and the rest of the finish.
Unlike a hallway, a corridor is always a transit room in which no one lingers for a long time. Therefore, in this case, the accent designers advise making the end wall as the most noticeable initially due to the layout. Moreover, the focal point can be the decor of the interior door at the end of the corridor. And the wallpaper on the side walls, even if they are with a pattern, becomes the basic background.
Important! If the corridor leaves the hallway, it becomes its continuation, the designers advise using the same wallpaper. And don’t forget to add some light! This is especially important for narrow corridors that simply need to be visually expanded..
Owners who are worried about the lifespan of wallpaper in the hallway and corridor may not use it on all walls. As you already understood, it is advisable to highlight only one, the most noticeable wall with wallpaper with a pattern. The rest of the surfaces can simply be painted with washable paint, just like for the kitchen. And it will be easy to care for the walls.
Or use wood panels, MDF, artificial stone or brick-like tiles in the lower, most prone to dirt, part of the wall. The wallpaper itself can be ordinary, non-woven.
Important! According to the designers, there are environmental issues with vinyl wallpaper, and liquid wallpaper is suitable for institutions and public places. So don’t limit your choices to just these, the most durable options..
Regarding the color and patterns of wallpaper for the hallway and corridor, designers give the following tips:
- Beige, brown wallpaper is worth choosing if there are other focal points in the room. For example, patterned tiled floor, decorated interior doors;
- Wooden furniture will look great against the background of gray wallpaper;
- Light wallpapers are a great choice. You can choose dark ones if the floor, ceiling and furniture are noticeably lighter than such a background;
- It is best to choose wallpaper with geometric and floral prints. They are always in fashion. But the imitation of stone and brick, which does not always look reliable, is outdated.
We state: as in the case of wallpaper for the kitchen for the hallway and corridor, you can choose not only washable options. The main thing is to decide on a focal point and choose wallpaper for the style of the interior, emphasizing its classics or, on the contrary, creativity..