Among typical, ordinary square or rectangular windows, eaves stand out especially. Our advice site will work with you to figure out what eaves windows are, what they are, what individual parts they consist of, how they look on the facade of the building and in the interior.
Cornice windows are a combination of a roof window and a conventional vertical facade window. The design can be made in two versions:
- The dormer and vertical windows are located side by side, but separated by an impost – a special profile, in the case of a cornice window – a horizontal one;
- Both parts are connected to each other, most often in this case, a steel flashing is used.
The construction is rather complicated. Hence the main disadvantages of cornice windows:
- They are more expensive than usual, it is difficult to find ready-made, only on order;
- It is almost impossible for a layman to do the installation with his own hands, you will also have to pay for the work of the masters.
Important! Both parts of the eaves window – attic, roof and vertical, must be very clearly docked with each other. Otherwise, no sealants, to which the portal has dedicated a separate article, will save you from leaks. It is necessary to take into account the angles at which the roof slope is inclined, the height of the facade wall to the corner and other nuances.
The advantages of eaves, as they say, are obvious:
- The light in the room is 50% more;
- A full view of the street opens, which ordinary roof windows do not provide;
- The room looks more spacious;
- You can get interesting combinations, for example, combine a triangular facade window with a rectangular attic window. Or make windows-arches.
Overlays and protective covers for eaves are selected depending on the roof covering, so that the structure looks harmonious against the background of the general exterior of the house.
The profile of double-glazed windows can be metal, wood, PVC – everything is as usual. Connection parts are made of the same material as the profile itself.
It is convenient when both parts of the eaves window open so that the glass can be washed with your own hands without getting out onto the roof. In addition, do not forget about protection from the bright sun, because, we repeat, such windows let it through twice as much as usual. Roof curtains can be very different.
Balcony windows can be called a special type of cornice windows. The structure also consists of two parts: inclined and vertical. However, the vertical is not installed on the facade, but also on the roof. Additional structures appear on the sides of the balcony extended from the roof surface.
The most popular manufacturers of dormers, eaves and balcony windows in our country are Velux and Fakro. The price will depend on the size, profile material, and other features. But in general, we did not find eaves windows cheaper than 40 thousand rubles.