The renovation is coming to an end, and it is time to install new interior doors. How to independently assemble the door block and install it in the opening without drilling the walls using polyurethane foam is described in this article.
When buying a new interior door, you will inevitably face two problems:
- In fact, you will acquire a constructor consisting of a door leaf and a set of four box bars: two short ones – on the upper and lower strips, and two long ones – on the sides of the door frame. You will first have to assemble the box itself according to the required dimensions, and then hang the door leaf into it.
- The assembled door block will need to be installed in the doorway.
Only after completing these steps can the door be used. How to do all this, we will tell you in this article..
Required tools and materials
For work we need:
2. Hacksaw – it can be either a hacksaw for wood with a fine tooth or a hacksaw for metal.
3. Miter box – devices for smooth sawing of wooden parts at the desired angles.
6. Fasteners: several screws and finishing nails.
7. Two door hinges. Butterfly hinges can be used for ease of installation.
They do not require cutting into the door leaf, they are simply screwed on, while, due to their design, they themselves provide the necessary gap between the door leaf and the frame.
8. Polyurethane foam. It is better to use the one under the gun – it allows you to control the foam output. If there is no gun, then you can use foam, the cylinder of which has its own nozzle.
9. Actually, the door itself with the bars of the box.
Putting the door together
We start by assembling the door frame.
1. We measure the width and length of the door leaf. Cut two short bars to a size equal to:
Web width + 5 mm for gaps.
2. We cut long bars to size:
Blade length + two thicknesses of the box beam in the thin part + 5 mm for gaps.
3. We cut the side bars under the upper and lower as follows:
Saw off a piece in the thick part of the box beam so that in the end the thickness is the same as in the thin part of it. We retreat from the edge a distance equal to the thickness of the bar in the thick part.
4. We retreat from the edges of the door 200 mm. Here we will install loops.
5. Apply hinges and mark the attachment points.
6. You can immediately screw the hinges with self-tapping screws, but it is better to drill preliminary holes – this way you protect yourself from possible distortions.
7. Fasten the hinges into place.
8. Putting the box together. First, we drill holes for self-tapping screws. The door leaf at this time should already be inside the box.
Then we wrap the screws.
9. Mark on the box where we will have loops.
10. Attach a spare hinge to the marks and mark the holes. If there is no loop, then it is necessary to carefully measure all the distances to the holes and mark them with a ruler..
11. We drill where we noted.
12. We fasten the loop to the box.
13. We receive the door block assembly
Installing a door in a doorway
1. Install the unit in the doorway. Set by level.
Important! The door should be slightly tilted back so that the door leaf closes itself.
Install wedge spacers and carefully fill the gap with foam.
2. While the foam hardens, we make platbands. Saw off the workpiece to the required length, saw the corners at 45 ° along the miter box.
3. After the foam rises, about 1.5–2 hours, you can trim off the excess and fix the platband. Sides first, then top bar.
4. The platbands are attached to the finishing studs.
5. The door is installed. It remains to cut in the handle, as described, for example, in the article “Installing the door latch handle”.